WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally did some business with the nice people at Otto Frei and got my Illinois Sangamo back on the (rail)road. Just needed a mainspring. Running like a champ. It's living in a nice Keystone Victory case until I can get some crystals replaced in my other cases.

Solid gold train and jewel settings and that gorgeous half moon click.

I tried to fix the cosmetic problems. With Ben’s help I had a new dial in my sights. It was the prefect one he mentioned in the Crashing Prices thread at the end of Dec. I called as soon as he got me the number but the man said I was 2 hours too late. Hmmm. I’ve often thought that with a little practice I might be able to switch out the seconds bit for one that’s not cracked. It would present a little better. I don't know what's up with all the nibbles around the top of the seconds.

This is probably the prettiest movement I own. I definitely can get lost watching it.

Joel

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I love those Getty model Illinois's. They're just that little bit different, with the hidden crown wheel and the big bat-wing click, and the mirror polish on that and the ratchet wheel. It's amazing the work they put into something you'd never see! I had one just like that, but with 23 jewels.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Joel,

Great work on getting that one running.

I've always been really fond of the Illinois bright spot pattern, and I think it looks great on the Getty model. And, of course, the Sangamo grade is always great.

I'm sorry that you just missed out on the dial. Although they don't come up for sale too often, they do turn up from time to time. I was able to find one for my bright spot Sangamo with a few hairlines but overall very presentable.

It is possible to piece together a dial from more than one part, although you have to be really, really careful as the soldering process can cause cracks and even make pieces of the enamel pop off if you're not careful. Most often it's done to salvage a rare private label dial with a good center chapter, but I've also seen it done with factory marked dials. Since it looks like your outer chapter is in good shape aside from the 28.5' hairline, all you need is a dial with a bad outer chapter and a good center chapter and seconds bit to get a good dial out of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts