WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently purchased on-line an early longines wristwatch.
It is marked 800 silver.
Do you have any interesting historical/tecnological info on this era watch. Do you know what scene is depicted on the back plate of the watch (photo attached).

Any idea how much I should insure it for??

Thanks for your help
Michael J 2997-23.jpg 2997-1.jpg 2997-15.jpg

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Welcome Michael. Your watch started as a pocket watch and was converted to a wristwatch at some point. Please don't take this as being nasty, but it probably isn't worth insuring as these type of things aren't worth much more than their metal content usually. It is a nice looking piece and if properly serviced will last for generations and keep pretty good time.

·
Banned
3,655 Posts
Hi, I recently purchased on-line an early longines wristwatch.
It is marked 800 silver.
Do you have any interesting historical/tecnological info on this era watch. Do you know what scene is depicted on the back plate of the watch (photo attached).

Any idea how much I should insure it for??

Thanks for your help
Michael J View attachment 16903 View attachment 16902 View attachment 16901
It is an interesting watch.
As Ulackfocus said its a pocket watch converted to wrist watch, nothing wrong to that.
It is VERY difficult to make out the scene on the back, but it looks a religious scene maybe Mary with baby Jesus.
There 'looks' to be a winged person on the left, that would be an angel. The scene will most likely come from a famous 15century painting.

Let me know the serial number of the watch.

Oh, and you probably realize it is a 'pin set' watch.

Regards

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Serial number and movement

Movement caliber : Longines 18.69 - Swiss Made
Movement serial 1924708
Case serial 1924708

Thanks for your reply. I understand wristwatches were started to be factory made in 1905 for longines, i have not found any internet images of these, i presume initially they were an adapted pocket watch case??? Can you recommend a good site? Longines official history site was interesting.
Reagrds

·
Banned
3,655 Posts
The first time we see wrist watches is on British soldiers during the Boer war 1998-1903.
These were of course 'pure' pocket watches with wire lugs soldered on, that continued till about 1912-1915

Then we see proper lugs on watches, from @1918

Longines made Ladies wrist watches from 1905 and Mens from 1910
Therefore your watch is a MANS pocket conversion prior to 1910.
The serial number dates it to 1906 or begining 1907

Regards

1 - 6 of 6 Posts