WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting!

Here's the backstory - I bought a Tissot Powermatic in Switzerland in 2000. It ran great for five years then just stopped. I took it to the only Authorized shop that I could find in Dallas at the time and they said the gaskets needed replaced and quoted me $233.00. That wasn't in the budget at the time so I put the watch away planning on getting a second opinion. Not long after we moved and the watch got misplaced. We moved two more times and I just found it again last summer.

I dropped it off at a different shop and they called and said the capacitor is likely bad and it would be $100 to replace, if that is the actual problem - they did not open it up as far as I know. As I ubderstand it the capacitor/battery is only good for about five years and will need to be replaced again.

So here's the question, which would the community suggest?

1. Pay the $100 and plan on doing that again in five years
2. Keep looking to see if I can find someone cheaper or get the tools to do it myself
3. Put it on eBay and see what I can get for it

I wore it everywhere so the case and bracelet are pretty worn, but the crystal is perfect - see attached.

What say y'all?
Watch_face_sm.jpg
Watch_back_sm.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,838 Posts
Hmmm... i had to read up on the Tissot Autoquartz and its capacitor vs rechargeable battery cuz that was new to me. It does sound like those capacitors are good for about 5-6 yrs and then need replacement. You may also have to replace the entire module once the watch is 10+ yrs old at which point i would simply look for a replacement movement on eBay if i was going to keep it. There was also some comments about installing an upgraded capacitor that would supposedly stretch that lifespan out to 7 yrs and provide even better accuracy. And then Tissot recommends the gaskets be done and the watch pressure tested too so.... you'll need to weigh the cost of doing this work every 5-6 yrs vs what you could buy for similar $$ vs how much you want to keep the watch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! Sounds like there is more involved than I'm really up for at this point. I loved the watch, but if I'm going to spend a couple hundred $$$ I'd rather get a new watch. I believe I will try to sell it to help offset the cost of a new one.

Hmmm... i had to read up on the Tissot Autoquartz and its capacitor vs rechargeable battery cuz that was new to me. It does sound like those capacitors are good for about 5-6 yrs and then need replacement. You may also have to replace the entire module once the watch is 10+ yrs old at which point i would simply look for a replacement movement on eBay if i was going to keep it. There was also some comments about installing an upgraded capacitor that would supposedly stretch that lifespan out to 7 yrs and provide even better accuracy. And then Tissot recommends the gaskets be done and the watch pressure tested too so.... you'll need to weigh the cost of doing this work every 5-6 yrs vs what you could buy for similar $$ vs how much you want to keep the watch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, started there. I found a similar model, but the face was different so I thought I'd throw it out here on the off chance someone had more infos. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts