WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had it since new a few months ago...didnt take too much to scratch the face. I just dont buy the "we dont use sapphire because it it is easy to shatter" stuff. I think its probably just about cost. I have a Tag Heur 200m pro diver - had it for 14 years and bashed it so hard against steel welding tables and similar on the face, that I thought it MUST shatter or scratch...nope. Invicta spent a day with me cleaning up downstairs and a low speed low impact scrape against mild steel and a scratch...so not a fan of FF.

I will take to it gently with a Dremel and wheel with toothpaste and see if I can buff it out without creating ripples. If anyone has a better compound, please let me know.

Next question is now likely is it that a jeweler will have the right size/can order the right size, sapphire crystal for it?

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
Toothpaste may work- I've been told you need the paste and not the gel kind.
Dremel sells small containers of polishing compound, but I have never tried it on anything remotely resembling glass, so, caveat emptor.

I have heard many people with different kinds of crystal problems, but if anyone has found a solution I wish they'd publish instead of keeping the info to themselves.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate. I have now tried the toothpaste and it removed a little of the material, but i need more so I am ordering diamond paste - a cutter and another much finer one to polish. I will post up the results.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
I found several possibilities by Googling "watch crystal replacement services".

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks mate - the exact dimensions would be handy but I doubt anyone has replaced one in this series yet. Its an expensive fix, although the rest of the watch is such good quality, it might make a worthwhile upgrade

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.