WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I strapped up a few of my smaller sized cases with finds from Ebay. 99% of the narrow straps found there are for Ladies watches and only 6 ½ in long which just doesn’t cut the mustard if I plan on wearing many of my Bulovas and some Elgins and Walthams.

Here’s an example of a Lord Elgin from 1945.

It has a 21j 559 and the star on the dial indicates it’s “timed to the stars”.

Next is a little freckle faced Bulova made in 1949.

It’s running a 17j 10BM movement and has a touch of engraving on the bezel that I need to pick out with some enamel.

Third has a 1933 Sapphire filled Waltham . This is the 15j movement in the “ Jewel” family of 6/0’s.

I think this is a jobber case but the rose gold and copper dial are very attractive. I haven’t seen enough 30’s Waltham cases to know if they signed all of their factory watches. 6/0 jobber cases are fairly common.

Joel

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
You know, I kinda like that freckled face also! (Though, I've always liked red-heads too!) But, instead of calling it "freckled", isn't that actually an uber-rare ostrich-skin dial? :lol: (This sounds a lot nicer!)

I know what you mean about how tough 14mm straps are to locate! A while back I had a very tough lime locating a nice one to wear on my long Curvex, and on a shorter (more typical vintage) case it would be much worse. What I do these days is, when I see a nice strap at a bargain, I just buy it knowing that I'll get a watch for it later. I also keep extra white buckles on hand too, as I prefer white watches and most straps come with yellow plated straps. In all, I keep a supply of a couple of 14mm and 15mm straps, a BUNCH of 16mm, a couple of 17mm, a few 18mm, and 1 or 2 19mm straps on hand at all times... so when I get a new addition that keeps time I'm able to wear it immediately without then needing to first locate a proper strap. Otherwise, by the time I find a strap and have it shipped, the thrill of the new watch is gone. (Sadly, this means at any given point I likely have 20-40 extra straps on hand... but the thrill of wearing a brand new watch the day it arrives is worth it! :thumbup1:)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
..... now me,,.......I like that Waltham a whooooooolle lot .....love that dial with the concentric pin striping ......

and of course you should have a bunch of watch bands on hand .....why ....you need a lot so that you can play "Band Matching" ....a fun game that I play a lot .....I have at least a couple of hundred bands on hand at all times....most aren't the tippy top bestest ones, but you'd be surprised at how many very nice bands you get in groups of vintage bands.....

I started checking out my bands one day and found some pricey ones in them ....and I know I didn't buy them as such .....gotta really nice dove grey double top stitched Omega strap, with that wonderful wide keeper ....sold a bunch last year for some serious money, but can't remember exactly what they were.....they were really pretty though ....

the new fad of 2 narrow keepers ....well it sucks.....one wide one is far less likely to break .....and holds the strap end much more securely ........

and that's my 2 cents on the subject.....worth about that much too eh ?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
...oh yah and I am shameless about nipping off the very edges of a leather band to make it fit ....a bit of shoe polish and the raw edge goes away ......it's one of the many good reasons that the gods gave us X-acto knives......:001_tt2:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi

I found a site called International Watchman, Inc. It has a huge selection of straps, including 14mm straps, like the vintage ones that were original to the watches. Prices are very reasonable.

Tont

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Hi

I found a site called International Watchman, Inc. It has a huge selection of straps, including 14mm straps, like the vintage ones that were original to the watches. Prices are very reasonable.

Tont
Yep, some collectors swear by this site. Others (like me) don't. In my experience IW's cheap straps are worth the price you pay (cheap!)... but their more expensive straps are not (CHEAPER!). I have had better luck buying straps from IW at a regional NAWCC show than over the web -- they sell as low as $1 to $5 each. You will see a LOT of IW straps on watches for sale on ebay. When one arrives, the first thing I normally do is replace it with a real strap!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts