Watch storage and display - Page 3

Winner of the Bulova-Accutron-Caravelle Masthead Contest
AWF_01_1

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Watch storage and display

Banned WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

I suppose index wheels must eventually wear out.
    Isn't that what they said about Harrisons grasshopper escapement ? To be perfectly honest I only care that it doesn't wear out in what's left of my life time because after that I don't care anymore.........

Speaking of which, I think a Accuton foundation should be formed with a board of trustees, So when I die I can have it in my will that all my accutron collection be given to said foundation to do with how ever the board feel best meats with my last wishes or if no last wishes are given do with the watch collection whatever the board votes to do with it, that way I know my collection doesn't end up being sold on ebay for $10 each by some moron that doesn't know any dif to some idiot who think it's a kind of cool watch to give to his nephew for his tenth birthday.......
    Last edited by Accutronitis; 03-05-2015 at 06:34 PM.

You make a very good point Accuronitis, one to which I have given some thought and have reached no conclusions. I think I have some neat toys but my kids have no interest in them and I worry about the possibility that, when my time comes, they will just toss them into a dumpster. Maybe by then they won't be worth anything anyway since interest in watches is evaporating. Maybe the answer is to sell them off before then but I'd rather keep getting more.
    I have reached the point where I only keep batteries in about 10 Accutrons at a time. I have a few that have batteries in them all of the time and then each month I select a few to bring back to life for a that month.
    Last edited by skypilot; 03-05-2015 at 09:10 PM.
    Who is John Galt ?

Banned WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

I don't know if interest is going away, when I try to get a good deal on accutron stuff on ebay it's not easy as there are usually a lot of bidders for everything (good thing I've got my sniper) plus I only think they will go up in value as time goes by and the great one are fewer and far between, Accutron tuning fork is when everything changed a lot in the mechanical watch world, A world that hadn't basically change much in a very long time, That fact alone (well that and accutrons are way cool) will guarantee that Accutron tuning fork watches will always be a big hit with collectors now and in the future.......
    Time2Fish and Mystic Nerd like this.

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

DSC02395.jpgDSC02396.jpgDSC02400.jpgDSC02401.jpgDSC02391.jpg
    I have at last got round to making another storage box. The timber is a very rare form of New Zealand Kauri, Agathis australis. It is called Inanga ( Maori for whitebait, which are tiny fish fry. The wood is shot through with wriggly lines resembling the swimming of a school of whitebait. I have also made my partner a jewellery box out of Inanga. Have added a pretty watch to whet your interest. Also made a serving tray for my daughter with Penrose tiling done in Mahogany and American white oak. Also with another pretty watch!

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

DSC02500.jpgDSC02501.jpgDSC02502.jpg
    Here is my latest storage/display box. It is made from Tasmanian Blackwood (Acacia melanoxylon). In it are most of my Swiss chapter ring and pseudo chapter ring 218s. I have been fortunate in having obtained near mint examples of both the ss and gp versions of each case.A number of these have NOS cases. There are some other models to completely fill the box.
    I meant to say that the two watches at the right hand end of the bottom row are among my favourites. These have blue sapphire hour markers.
    Last edited by vim203; 08-08-2016 at 05:24 AM.

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Incredible collection Vim203! Thanks for sharing this.

Eric
    Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. ~Louis Hector Berlioz

My Watchbox

Incredible custom boxes and collection!

I copied this pic form somewhere on the internet quite some time ago:

watch frames.6.jpg

I love the presentation of the watches as art, and with my collection (includes a few Accutrons, but not enough!), I could fill a wall.

If I had the skills (or tools! LOL) I would do much the same as shown here, but hinge the frame tops and place each watch on a hanger so that you could simply flip the frame top open and lift your daily watch off of its peg...
    mikeyt_53 and ArchieGoodwin like this.
    My Collection on Instagram: @retroworx
    https://www.instagram.com/retroworx/

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

DSC02504.jpgDSC02507.jpg[AT)
    Here is my 5th full size box. It has a Camphor Laurel (Cinnamomon camphora) top and Monterey Cyprus sides. Inside are my Accuquartz watches. Unlike the watches shown in my previous boxes these have not yet been serviced. Only a few run and I am waiting till I can clear the backlog of 218s before attempting to get their electronics to work. I just hope that its not the same thing in all that has gone wrong. I've got a lot of old movements to cannibalize.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by vim203; 08-12-2016 at 04:55 AM.

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

DSC02669.jpgDSC02670.jpgDSC02673.jpg
    Here is box number six, filled with serviced 218s. The box is made from New Zealand Kauri (Agathis australis). The second row watches are all up/downs. I particularly like the two down dates in the bottom row.
    mikeyt_53 and ArchieGoodwin like this.

(~Commercial Airline Mechanic "Retired"~)

My Watchbox

Wow! Fantastic pics and a great looking display box. not-worthy.gif

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information