My new Astronaut - Page 2

Winner of the Bulova-Accutron-Caravelle Masthead Contest
AWF_01_1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: My new Astronaut

My Watchbox

Right. Anything can be restored given a large enough budget. I guess my question was more along the lines of "is the restoration of a chewed bezel cost effective or would it exceed the threshold of purchasing one in better condition"

Quote Originally Posted by accutronredux View Post
    Absolutely the bezel can be restored. What you see is two Astronauts with bezels in original condition. Herein lies the eternal debate among collectors...how much restoration is required or is desirable. I fall into the camp of complete restoration, but it's a personal preference and no more valid than those who choose to keep their watches as original as possible.

I've checked an advertisement I have and Sam is correct about the hands, the correct hands are shown in the one shown by Accutronredux.
    As to finding a watch with a better bezel, that could be a long search. I looked at a lot of them before I bought the one I have and all of the bezels were chewed up. Mine isn't perfect by any means but was about the best one I could find.
    I would have no idea what it would cost to have the bezel refinished.
    Who is John Galt ?

skypilot likes this.

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Dials can be refinished for $50 or less so I would not expect the bezel to cost much.

(First Astronaut)

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by SAM2 View Post
    Ton, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your problem is greater than just a missing hand. The white hour and minute hands are recent replacements, probably by Clark. The red seconds hand is also a replacement. The correct hands for your Astronaut would be silver in color to match the case. If you have the 214NH movement, not all is lost but you will need to find a complete set of Astronaut hands.
    At first glance, I didn't notice a larger issue with the subject watch. I was too preoccupied with the hands.
    What we seem to have here is a dial from a standard model Astronaut from approximately 1964. A factory correct Astronaut model O or T would have a dial with applied markers at the hour positions and applied "ACCUTRON" lettering. The only difference between Models O and T is the color of the dial. A third variation of the Day/Night Astronaut would have had a luminous seconds hand and black dial with applied markers. This from the Astronaut Variant Guide but what the guide doesn't tell is that none have a Swiss serial number although some may have Swiss made parts or movements. I would expect to see a movement marked 2142 rather than 214HN in a Day/Night with a date code as late as N1.
    Last edited by SAM2; 08-09-2014 at 07:08 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information