Bulova Marine Star Collection

Winner of the Bulova-Accutron-Caravelle Masthead Contest
AWF_01_1

Thread: Bulova Marine Star Collection

My Watchbox

Default Bulova Marine Star Collection

Hi,

I am new to this forum and to watches in general, so I apologize for the newbie questions, but I am thinking about getting a new watch as my birthday is coming up. I am trying to decide between three Bulova sport watches: the 98B203, 98B204, and the 98B205. Right now, I am drifting towards the 205, mainly because of the color and the dial. I have heard good things about Bulova watches in general, but can't find much about the quality of their Marine Star Collection. I am a certified diver, but don't dive that often (usually about one month out of the year when I go to the Caribbean), but would still like the watch to preform well under water. I have looked at the "water resistance guide" and found that people don't suggest I take a watch that is resistant to 330 feet 70 feet under water with me when I dive, but I don't understand why (if the watch is resistant to 100 meters, but please advise me as I don't want to damage my watch and will happily opt out of taking it diving with me).

If you could tell me a little about the quality of these watches, I would really appreciate it. I am new to the whole watch world as I mentioned, so I apologize again. Also, if you have any other recommendations for watches, I am always open, but I kind of have my heart set on one of these (if they are of good quality, that is).

Thanks.

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Generally, Bulova makes good watches for the money, sorry not familiar with those model numbers.

The internetz say all kinds of crazy things about water resistance ... You need a 1000M certified dive watch to wash your hands according to some. I am of the opinion that, with reputable brands, 100M means 100M, so long as the seals are in good shape. If you are actually going to dive with the watch, it NEEDS to be pressure tested any time it's taken apart and put back together, like for a battery change or service.

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by ~tc~ View Post
    Generally, Bulova makes good watches for the money, sorry not familiar with those model numbers.

The internetz say all kinds of crazy things about water resistance ... You need a 1000M certified dive watch to wash your hands according to some. I am of the opinion that, with reputable brands, 100M means 100M, so long as the seals are in good shape. If you are actually going to dive with the watch, it NEEDS to be pressure tested any time it's taken apart and put back together, like for a battery change or service.
    Yeah, I have heard different things about water resistance on other sites too. Before I dive with it, though, I am going to take it to my local watch shop and get it pressure tested. The guys are really good there and I'll ask them if it's safe to dive with. I imagine the warranty will cover damage done to the watch if it says it is resistant to 330 feet and I am only diving at 70, but I want to be absolutely sure. Thanks for your reply.

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

My take is that I use 200m rated watches (or greater - funny story, I never dive my Omega Seamaster rated to 300m - too nice to risk it!) for any diving because the overbuilt seals will last longer, particularly the crown seals, from setting, screwing and un-screwing over time.

YMMV. Even 200m watches that remain mostly un-molested should be pressure tested every couple years if you SCUBA with them. Which is what I do with my Seiko dive watches (as a backup to the dive computer).

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by Claven2 View Post
    My take is that I use 200m rated watches (or greater - funny story, I never dive my Omega Seamaster rated to 300m - too nice to risk it!) for any diving because the overbuilt seals will last longer, particularly the crown seals, from setting, screwing and un-screwing over time.

YMMV. Even 200m watches that remain mostly un-molested should be pressure tested every couple years if you SCUBA with them. Which is what I do with my Seiko dive watches (as a backup to the dive computer).
    Yeah, people on forums tell me they are skeptical to take any watch diving that is not 200m+. The main reason I chose it in the first place was to wear it everyday, I just happened to like a diving watch and happened to be a diver, but I have decided not to take it diving. When I get a diving watch (as I want one), I will probably get the SKX007; I have heard extremely good things about this watch.

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by maxboi0807 View Post
    When I get a diving watch (as I want one), I will probably get the SKX007; I have heard extremely good things about this watch.
    Wearing a Seiko Diver as I type this reply! You might look at the next generation 7s26 also. Of the two, I prefer that one. Has the 21J version of the movement. Acquired one recently that had been fully serviced including all new gaskets, crystal and bezel insert.

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by oliverb View Post
    Wearing a Seiko Diver as I type this reply! You might look at the next generation 7s26 also. Of the two, I prefer that one. Has the 21J version of the movement. Acquired one recently that had been fully serviced including all new gaskets, crystal and bezel insert.
    Yeah that looks like a nice watch. I wish I dove more; I only dive one month out of the year. But I still want a diving watch

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Besides the extra jewels I think the 7s26 has a little longer power reserve.

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

Personally I use a Gen 1 Black Monster. The lume and easy to use bezel ratchets are hard to beat.

Thread Information