WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

is ball way overpriced for what they are?

20K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  CounterfeitCop 
#1 ·
lets face it for years if you wanted an auto watch with tritium tubes you were stuck with ball but now this so many others using the tubes. Is ball the best buy for your money? look at what deep blue, android and others are offering and make a call for yourself. is it the $800 SWISS ETA T100 deep blue or the $3,000 t25 swiss eta ball that floats yours boat. just wondering what people think and, how they want to spend their money.

#2 ·
Yes, I think the higher end models are too high end! But this is coming from a person with (very) limited means. If I'd had to pay full price, even with any kind of AD discount, I would not be a Ball owner. I was very lucky... (1) the Fireman II is on the low end of the price list and (2) I got it second-hand for about $900. Even so, that's the most I've ever paid for a watch and probably the most I ever will. There's no way I can afford a brand-new one.

#3 ·
While I would argue that Ball is doing things Deep Blue, Android, and others are not (and probably can not at their price level), I tend to agree with you a bit, mostly due to the recent significant price increases. Even 5 years ago, Ball was the undisputed "bang for the buck" leader, now, not so much

#4 ·
I am certainly glad I found Ball before the most current prices took effect. I feel fortunate to have a Ball EM II Diver and even more fortunate to have a Ball EH Trieste. That one caused a little harsh discussion at home. My. Lovely wife has been fairly tolerant of my obsession, but will never understand it.
Until finances improve, there will be no new watches in my home:(!
When I look at retail prIcing for new watches, I don't think Ball is unreasonable, just out of reach for me in my current position!
The thing I most appreciate about Ball (other than amazing watches) is incredible customer service!

Others may net agree. That's OK. I am still a huge fan of Ball Watch!

Just my 2 cents,

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I first bought a Ball watch because I thought they provided great value without the marketing driven premium that bigger names fetch. I have a Power Reserve, WorldTimer and recently picked up a Red Label GMT--which will be delivered next week. Needless to say, I am a fan.

#8 ·
The Mrs picked up a Engineer Mater II DLC and likes it. The AD has been good about relaying a good value:$ and this was one of the watches. In that regard depends on your definition of "value". There are watches that cost far more and those that are less. The sad part is that she picked it up in Feb '13 and we just sent it to Ball for warranty service. When winding the watch, it felt like it was missing a few teeth/gears. :( She bought a Casio in the meantime. Now that is value but among Casio watches, maybe not so since it comes fora mass factory in China. YMMV. :)

#9 ·
Never forget that you always get what you pay for. If lume is your thing, nobody does it better than Ball!

I am a fan of the Fireman series, having both an original Fireman 43mm and Night Train, and while on the lower end of the Ball pricing scale, they are worth every penny to me!

#10 ·
I reviewed hundreds of watches and after all I found that the Ball watches have best look/quality/value ratio (at least for me). I decided to buy new Ball Eternity and I'm really happy with this watch. It looks much better in real life than in pictures. I do not think that they are overpriced. In reality if people will not buy it they will reduce the price to the level where people will start to buy. It is matter of reputation, quality, marketing, etc ... I think everyone understand that the production price of Patek Phillipe is far away from $35000 they want for some of the watches.

#14 ·
Agreed, none, but they DO have some modules and modifications like SpringLOCK and Amortiser that IMHO elevate them above the traditional "caser".

Once again, you can not ignore the HUGE price gap between, say a VC Overseas with an outsourced movement, and say a Ball Airborne with a SpringLOCK modified outsourced movement. You can argue all you want about the extra finishing of the VC movement, but since both models have engraved solid casebacks (and I would definitely put Ball's casebacks up against the Overseas), it doesn't really matter, does it?

#15 ·
Some time ago, my wife was on the hunt for a ladies mechanical watch that didn't have a bunch of bling to it. Turned out that there was a short list that she actually would consider. In the end, she chose the Ball Eternity. From her perspective, it was a very good value acquisition relative to some of the other on her list.

Attachments

#16 ·
New to the forum, but the one Ball I own is the EMII Diver World Time. Paid just over $2500 brand new from my AD a year ago and consider it a steal given the quality of case and bracelet finishing, the accuracy and reliability of the movement over the past year, and how rugged the watch is. I've banged it around much more than I should, but hardly a scratch on it, and it still keeps impeccable time. I understand that there are now other options for tritium armed automatics at better prices, but I don't know if you'd get the same level of quality in construction and finish like you do with Ball IMHO.

#18 ·
I think Ball makes nice watches, that just aren't my style. I won't buy one for the same reason I won't get a Hamilton (which are also nice watches). They are companies that bought an American name, and are producing high quality watches, but not "real" Ball/ Hamilton. Of course they are real watches, and real "current" Ball/Hamilton watches, their just isn't something right about it in my mind. Of course I'm probably a "D" bag for thinking that way, and I could be wrong about the current companies. After all, Web C. Ball didn't mfg. his own watches, he private labeled them. I know it's probably just me, and with no malicious intent, just my opinion and feelings on the matter. It's just been bugging me for a while. Not a consuming irritation mind you. My wife squeazes the toothpaste from the middle of the tube. THAT really bugs me.

#19 ·
I can somewhat understand Ball not being your style, but Hamilton has some of the best designs out there - bar none.

So, if these are taking advantage if the name, who do you go with? Just about every company out there other than Vacheron Constantin as Seiko have had some interruption in their history, and aren't really related to the company that made the name famous.

(I guess you could throw in the young startups here and micros like LumTec, but that's not really about brand history)

#21 ·
I definitely and absolutely have to disagree with most of you on this one. If u take the time to read this, maybe I will sway your opinions.....

Although Balls certainly aren't inexpensive, when you add up all of the features and overall quality you are getting for the price, there really isn't much competition in the same price range. I will agree that Hamiltons are pretty attractive in terms of their designs and styles. However, the quality, apart from the ETA movements is not near Balls in nearly every other regard. Sure, if my only concern is $$$, i'd go Hamilton. But can I picture myself cherishing and enjoying my hamilton for 5+ years??? Hell no. As soon as I have the money, I'd be in the market again for something better.

I do agree that some of Balls designs are just plain hideous to me, but that's why they have over 50 different styles to choose from. Before I knew anything about watches, I still refused to buy a Seiko, Citizens, Bulova etc bc everyone has one and quite frankly, their designs are completely uninteresting and void of creativity. Not to mention they break frequently if you use them while doing anything else besides paperwork.

So I always bought expensive Movados (not the Bolds or crap like that) around $2k-3500 bc I really liked some of the styles bc they were original and seemed like better quality than the cheaper watches. Until those started breaking too. Can't wash your hands with hot water or they couldn't withstand a minor drop accidentally, etc.

So I started studying Ball, Hamiltons, Tags, Rolex, Breitling, Panerais Omegas and everything in between, and on a tight budget with 6 kids making 50k a year, I'm not buying a Patek anytime soon. But I'm not buying a $5 walmart swatch either.

What I discovered is that ultimately, all the things Ball offers; still the best in lume, superior shock resistance, good water depth resistance, great anti-magnetic builds, reliable movements, awesome customer service including 3 yrs worry free warranty, cool American heritage, truly unique designs AND premium material qualities and reliability; you have to pay much more than 2k to get all of that in any other brand. Period.

And one more point, though most love to talk about in-house movements and all that, practically, when you're primarily discussing $$$, really ??? Come on. You will never notice a difference. When u have 8k to burn, return to in-house discussions.

I would have paid $500-1000 more for my Balls after having experienced them and enjoying the ruggedness and reliability and beauty of them. MOST IMPORTANTLY, you can't look at Ball's website and evaluate their watches vs other brands. Go into a store and feel the quality and craftsmanship. Hamilton will fall off ur list quickly.

IVE NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE (to whom money isn't everlasting)WHO WALKS INTO A PANERAI OR ROLEX BOUTIQUE AND BUYS A BRAND NEW 10k WATCH AND SAYS, I would have paid twice that much!!! Lol

Just a couple pics to display my points ;)

Old Movado (paid 2k)

Ball Fireman Racer (Paid $1399)

Ball Teainmaster Roman (paid $1799)

#22 ·
I don't agree with your comments regarding Hamilton - price to price (so, high end Hamilton to low end Ball) they are quite competitive.

High end Ball is competing against Tudor and Non-in-house Breitling, and I would say that is a "close race" also (with IMHO, Breitling trailing the other two by a length)

#23 ·
And I would take exception to the statement:

"I still refused to buy a Seiko, Citizens, Bulova etc bc everyone has one and quite frankly, their designs are completely uninteresting and void of creativity. Not to mention they break frequently if you use them while doing anything else besides paperwork."

These two (plus a Pulsar chrono and Pulsar titanium solar) watches helped me get through 15 years of being a restaurant cook, starting back in 1978, and they still work fine today. I'm just sayin'.

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'll admit typing on this iphone, I couldn't really proof read everything and make sure everything I was saying was conveyed accurately. I was referring to the entry level and low end citizens and seikos which are available in every walmart, target and sears. Not EVERY citizen/Seiko etc.

Also, regarding Hamiltons, I don't have anything against them or anything regardless of how my first post sounded; I know they have history on their side but so does every other Swiss watch manufacturer. I just don't think they have enough creativity and uniqueness to compete at a higher level anymore besides the entry level affordability appeal. Earlier in the thread ppl were comparing Hamiltons to Balls and I just don't think there is really any comparison is my main point. Lol perhaps I should have just kept it simple and said that in ine sentence.

#26 ·
I own one Ball (watch, that is) and two Deep Blues.

The Ball is the Engineer Master II Aviator, and the Deep Blues are a Sun Diver III and a Sun Diver II.

The Deep Blues are, by far, the nicest watches I've found at that price point. They're big and beefy, both registering about a 9 on the "Stitch Scale".

The Ball is just a different animal. I forget what I paid for it, but I know I had zero reservations about the cost...

#28 · (Edited)
Ball...really a very nicely made watch, managed to put 15 to 20 thousands movements through the COSC certification drill every year and pass, all things considered? underpriced, furthermore I agree that amazing shock resistance, excellent water resistance, great anti-magnetic case protection etc. put Ball on a different niche.
Overall quality of the Chronometer models is far superior than Tudor IMO (and I owned both) , not going to compare entry level Ball models to something as basic (not to mention designed by Swatch to specifically target the low end buying segment) as Hamilton, because that's both a waste of time and a joke (and I'm a big Hamilton fan)) Ball Chronometer models roughly equals to Bremont in overall quality for a lot less....just a winner.
That been said, aesthetics is a personal thing that bare no weight on overall quality adding that Ball have a wide variety of models to choose from...Heck, lots of folks dislike Genta or De Bethune watches designs, despite been just marvelous.

#29 ·
My first watch was the Seiko 62 MAS ... coincidentally, that first dive watch was their first dive watch introduced in the 60's. Look up 62 MAS and see what a pristine watch is currently worth. It will blow your mind. I'm a Divemaster ... I have strong feelings about the quality of those watches.

I started collecting watches seriously in the 80's while in federal law enforcement. My agency prosecuted counterfeit cases, and I became intrigued.

I own the Ball Skindiver, Engineer AeroGMT and bought their Diamond Conductor for my wife. The Skindiver is my daily wear, and I'd compare it to anything out there, at any price. The principle difference I see is, the cost and value is on your wrist, not the market manipulation and artificial price controls that some of the Swiss cartels are infamous for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.