is ball way overpriced for what they are? - Page 3

WINNER OF THE BALL WATCH PHOTO COMPETITION

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: is ball way overpriced for what they are?

My Watchbox

I definitely and absolutely have to disagree with most of you on this one. If u take the time to read this, maybe I will sway your opinions.....

Although Balls certainly aren't inexpensive, when you add up all of the features and overall quality you are getting for the price, there really isn't much competition in the same price range. I will agree that Hamiltons are pretty attractive in terms of their designs and styles. However, the quality, apart from the ETA movements is not near Balls in nearly every other regard. Sure, if my only concern is $$$, i'd go Hamilton. But can I picture myself cherishing and enjoying my hamilton for 5+ years??? Hell no. As soon as I have the money, I'd be in the market again for something better.

I do agree that some of Balls designs are just plain hideous to me, but that's why they have over 50 different styles to choose from. Before I knew anything about watches, I still refused to buy a Seiko, Citizens, Bulova etc bc everyone has one and quite frankly, their designs are completely uninteresting and void of creativity. Not to mention they break frequently if you use them while doing anything else besides paperwork.

So I always bought expensive Movados (not the Bolds or crap like that) around $2k-3500 bc I really liked some of the styles bc they were original and seemed like better quality than the cheaper watches. Until those started breaking too. Can't wash your hands with hot water or they couldn't withstand a minor drop accidentally, etc.

So I started studying Ball, Hamiltons, Tags, Rolex, Breitling, Panerais Omegas and everything in between, and on a tight budget with 6 kids making 50k a year, I'm not buying a Patek anytime soon. But I'm not buying a $5 walmart swatch either.

What I discovered is that ultimately, all the things Ball offers; still the best in lume, superior shock resistance, good water depth resistance, great anti-magnetic builds, reliable movements, awesome customer service including 3 yrs worry free warranty, cool American heritage, truly unique designs AND premium material qualities and reliability; you have to pay much more than 2k to get all of that in any other brand. Period.

And one more point, though most love to talk about in-house movements and all that, practically, when you're primarily discussing $$$, really ??? Come on. You will never notice a difference. When u have 8k to burn, return to in-house discussions.

I would have paid $500-1000 more for my Balls after having experienced them and enjoying the ruggedness and reliability and beauty of them. MOST IMPORTANTLY, you can't look at Ball's website and evaluate their watches vs other brands. Go into a store and feel the quality and craftsmanship. Hamilton will fall off ur list quickly.

IVE NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE (to whom money isn't everlasting)WHO WALKS INTO A PANERAI OR ROLEX BOUTIQUE AND BUYS A BRAND NEW 10k WATCH AND SAYS, I would have paid twice that much!!! Lol

Just a couple pics to display my points ;)

Old Movado (paid 2k)

Ball Fireman Racer (Paid $1399)

Ball Teainmaster Roman (paid $1799)

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

I don't agree with your comments regarding Hamilton - price to price (so, high end Hamilton to low end Ball) they are quite competitive.

High end Ball is competing against Tudor and Non-in-house Breitling, and I would say that is a "close race" also (with IMHO, Breitling trailing the other two by a length)

Super Moderator WTF Veteran CometHunter's Avatar
    (I'm having a good day. Don't screw it up!)

My Watchbox

And I would take exception to the statement:

"I still refused to buy a Seiko, Citizens, Bulova etc bc everyone has one and quite frankly, their designs are completely uninteresting and void of creativity. Not to mention they break frequently if you use them while doing anything else besides paperwork."

These two (plus a Pulsar chrono and Pulsar titanium solar) watches helped me get through 15 years of being a restaurant cook, starting back in 1978, and they still work fine today. I'm just sayin'.
    -Bill

WTF Administration Team
    The Hamilton Forum
    The Beginner's Watch Forum
    The *Original* Invicta Forum

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by CometHunter View Post
    And I would take exception to the statement:

"I still refused to buy a Seiko, Citizens, Bulova etc bc everyone has one and quite frankly, their designs are completely uninteresting and void of creativity. Not to mention they break frequently if you use them while doing anything else besides paperwork."

These two (plus a Pulsar chrono and Pulsar titanium solar) watches helped me get through 15 years of being a restaurant cook, starting back in 1978, and they still work fine today. I'm just sayin'.
    I'll admit typing on this iphone, I couldn't really proof read everything and make sure everything I was saying was conveyed accurately. I was referring to the entry level and low end citizens and seikos which are available in every walmart, target and sears. Not EVERY citizen/Seiko etc.

Also, regarding Hamiltons, I don't have anything against them or anything regardless of how my first post sounded; I know they have history on their side but so does every other Swiss watch manufacturer. I just don't think they have enough creativity and uniqueness to compete at a higher level anymore besides the entry level affordability appeal. Earlier in the thread ppl were comparing Hamiltons to Balls and I just don't think there is really any comparison is my main point. Lol perhaps I should have just kept it simple and said that in ine sentence.
    Last edited by CometHunter; 01-24-2014 at 05:05 AM.

My Watchbox

With the stratospheric recent rise in the Swiss franc, it will be interesting to see what sort of pricing is in store for Ball watches.
    This, of course, will affect any SF denominated watch maker.

My Watchbox

I own one Ball (watch, that is) and two Deep Blues.

The Ball is the Engineer Master II Aviator, and the Deep Blues are a Sun Diver III and a Sun Diver II.

The Deep Blues are, by far, the nicest watches I've found at that price point. They're big and beefy, both registering about a 9 on the "Stitch Scale".

The Ball is just a different animal. I forget what I paid for it, but I know I had zero reservations about the cost...
    You would be amazed at how often "What if?" works...

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

I've got two older Ball Fireman series model watches in the 43mm Fireman I and the 43mm Night Train GEN I and to this day I still wear the heck out of them. Were they expensive? Yes, but worth every penny to we lume junkies! Ha ha ha

My Watchbox

Ball...really a very nicely made watch, managed to put 15 to 20 thousands movements through the COSC certification drill every year and pass, all things considered? underpriced, furthermore I agree that amazing shock resistance, excellent water resistance, great anti-magnetic case protection etc. put Ball on a different niche.
    Overall quality of the Chronometer models is far superior than Tudor IMO (and I owned both) , not going to compare entry level Ball models to something as basic (not to mention designed by Swatch to specifically target the low end buying segment) as Hamilton, because that's both a waste of time and a joke (and I'm a big Hamilton fan)) Ball Chronometer models roughly equals to Bremont in overall quality for a lot less....just a winner.
    That been said, aesthetics is a personal thing that bare no weight on overall quality adding that Ball have a wide variety of models to choose from...Heck, lots of folks dislike Genta or De Bethune watches designs, despite been just marvelous.
    Last edited by eddiea; 08-05-2015 at 11:07 AM.
    "Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information