is ball way overpriced for what they are? - Page 2

WINNER OF THE BALL WATCH PHOTO COMPETITION

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: is ball way overpriced for what they are?

Platinum Patron Member WTF Veteran WWIIBuff's Avatar

My Watchbox

well, having owned PP, AP, VC. JLC, IWC and others, they make their movements unlike ball. they also don't have a bean bag hess that runs them
    Gets the shakes if no watch talk in a 24 hour period

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by WWIIBuff View Post
    well, having owned PP, AP, VC. JLC, IWC and others, they make their movements unlike ball. they also don't have a bean bag hess that runs them
    Until very recently, that was not so true of AP, VC, and IWC - only a very small percentage of their watches were in-house. They are all priced considerably higher than Ball also.

I'll leave the second part alone.

Platinum Patron Member WTF Veteran WWIIBuff's Avatar

My Watchbox

AP, VC and IWC have always made in house movements maybe not in every watch but in some, how many ball are in house in the last 20 years?
    Gets the shakes if no watch talk in a 24 hour period

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Default is ball way overpriced for what they are?

Agreed, none, but they DO have some modules and modifications like SpringLOCK and Amortiser that IMHO elevate them above the traditional "caser".

Once again, you can not ignore the HUGE price gap between, say a VC Overseas with an outsourced movement, and say a Ball Airborne with a SpringLOCK modified outsourced movement. You can argue all you want about the extra finishing of the VC movement, but since both models have engraved solid casebacks (and I would definitely put Ball's casebacks up against the Overseas), it doesn't really matter, does it?

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

Some time ago, my wife was on the hunt for a ladies mechanical watch that didn't have a bunch of bling to it. Turned out that there was a short list that she actually would consider. In the end, she chose the Ball Eternity. From her perspective, it was a very good value acquisition relative to some of the other on her list.
    Attached Images
    CometHunter and Jay23 like this.

My Watchbox

New to the forum, but the one Ball I own is the EMII Diver World Time. Paid just over $2500 brand new from my AD a year ago and consider it a steal given the quality of case and bracelet finishing, the accuracy and reliability of the movement over the past year, and how rugged the watch is. I've banged it around much more than I should, but hardly a scratch on it, and it still keeps impeccable time. I understand that there are now other options for tritium armed automatics at better prices, but I don't know if you'd get the same level of quality in construction and finish like you do with Ball IMHO.

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by josie03 View Post
    I understand that there are now other options for tritium armed automatics at better prices, but I don't know if you'd get the same level of quality in construction and finish like you do with Ball IMHO.
    You don't.

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

I think Ball makes nice watches, that just aren't my style. I won't buy one for the same reason I won't get a Hamilton (which are also nice watches). They are companies that bought an American name, and are producing high quality watches, but not "real" Ball/ Hamilton. Of course they are real watches, and real "current" Ball/Hamilton watches, their just isn't something right about it in my mind. Of course I'm probably a "D" bag for thinking that way, and I could be wrong about the current companies. After all, Web C. Ball didn't mfg. his own watches, he private labeled them. I know it's probably just me, and with no malicious intent, just my opinion and feelings on the matter. It's just been bugging me for a while. Not a consuming irritation mind you. My wife squeazes the toothpaste from the middle of the tube. THAT really bugs me.

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

I can somewhat understand Ball not being your style, but Hamilton has some of the best designs out there - bar none.

So, if these are taking advantage if the name, who do you go with? Just about every company out there other than Vacheron Constantin as Seiko have had some interruption in their history, and aren't really related to the company that made the name famous.

(I guess you could throw in the young startups here and micros like LumTec, but that's not really about brand history)

(Money Grows On trees in my World)

My Watchbox

I agree with you. Hamilton makes some killer styles

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Gordon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information