WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

Looking for genuine Bulova Accutron Mickey Mouse Watch

16K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  uscjake87 
#1 ·
Very difficult to come by and when they appear they're often fake. Very interested to see and purchase the real deal if one becomes available.

#5 ·
Thank you for all the feedback thus far. I actually had purchased one listed this week on eBay for $575, but several collectors I had been in contact we're pretty confident the watch was not the real deal. Bulova accutron yes but with a replaced Mickey performing the second hand and minute task. The giveaway was that the lower Disney Productions logo at the bottom was only half exposed and barely visible as compared to the original. I'm posting the mint condition original when researching the 1974 version online vs the one we tried to purchase on eBay. Fortunately we were able to return it and an hoping the seller moves forward with his promised to refund us our money. I lived this watch coming home from our very first Disney cruise adventure and started researching everything there is to know about the vintage Bulova tuning fork mechanism in this unique Mickey adaptation. Would greatly appreciate any insight here on this forum and if anyone ever cones across one for sale again from a more trusted source. I've lived my whole life only 40 minutes away from the historical Buluva plant in Queens, NY and greatly appreciate seeing that they're still produced here in the good ole USA!
vs. the one found on eBay

#6 ·
Who is Ludmil? Can he assist us? By the way the guy selling it on eBay immediately relisted the watch for $300 more than he sold it to me prior to even receiving it back from us this week. He was very shady and seemed to know little about the watch he was apparently selling as a genuine rare Accutron Mickey. Very frustrated when it's difficult trusting a seller on this ebay medium unfortunately.

#8 ·
If the watch is not identified as a fake, you should immediately report the listing to eBay.

Ludmil originally lived in the Canadian side of Niagara Falls but moved back to his home country of Bulgaria. He has serviced more than 3,000 Bulova Accutrons and has all the parts and equipment to service all 6 calibers of the tuning fork movements Bulova produced. He is also a trusted eBay seller with numerous Accutrons listed regularly on eBay.

#9 ·
One might wonder if that dial and movement were recased into a case that was too small to show all of the Disney Trademark. I have an Accutron Pulsometer like that. Mine was obviously originally in a gold case but it is now in a SS case that is a little too small and covers some of the lettering. Just a thought for whatever it is worth.

#10 · (Edited)
One might wonder if that dial and movement were recased into a case that was too small to show all of the Disney Trademark. I have an Accutron Pulsometer like that. Mine was obviously originally in a gold case but it is now in a SS case that is a little too small and covers some of the lettering. Just a thought for whatever it is worth.
Good point! The case style does look about the same, though.

#11 ·
So are you suggesting the listing may have actually been genuine and the watch despite the sunken lettering the real deal? Or difficult to assess in a photo? He also has another watch (see below) that collectors say never existed with Mickey. The fact that he has 2 posted now on eBay and there is early one that ever appears makes him seem not as much to be trusted. Thank you for recommending Ludmill. I wrote to him, perhaps he'll be able to help me locate the real deal :). And yes I did report this seller of the possibly fake Accutron Mickeys to eBay, not sure if they'll even do anything about it.

#12 ·
Honestly they look very nice. Not my taste but I do appreciate the watch for what it is.
Ref the idea about them being re-cased. That seems entirely possible. I understand that they were in made in solid gold. Unscrupulous person could have melted down the gold and decades in another case.
I'm assuming there is some sort of MM collectors forum.

#13 · (Edited)
Unfortunately there is a lot of "fabrication" going on in the collectible watch world. While I am not strictly against that as long as the item is identified as such, down the road it becomes more difficult to distinguish between originals and built up repros. This happens frequently with Soviet/Russian watches. I have a Chinese knockoff of a Soviet watch that could be bought new for $25 and isn't even that special. Go figure!

#20 ·
Nice to see you back posting abit Charlie!!!:thumbup1:

I found this info on that watch:

Bulova accutron n2 1972 14k yellow gold mickey mouse disney date 218 mens watch click images to enlarge up for sale is a beautiful vintage solid 14k yellow gold bulova accutron mickey mouse mens watch bulova accutron 14k yellow gold case and band by jonell the links in the band are shaped like accutron tuning fork logo mickey mouse n2 or 1972 vintage mens watch 218 movt. 36mm wide the watch is currently running and keeping time

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
Probably won't get a response back on this thread but thought I would give it a try just in case. I have the watch you are looking for, never worn, box and papers included. It was gifted to my grandparents by Jimmy MacDonald crazily enough. Everything on the watch is original. I have been looking everywhere on the internet and have not found anything to put a price on it, so I am here for advice on value.
Watch Brown Wood Amber Analog watch
Watch Hand Analog watch Gesture Clock

#30 ·
Probably won't get a response back on this thread but thought I would give it a try just in case. I have the watch you are looking for, never worn, box and papers included. It was gifted to my grandparents by Jimmy MacDonald crazily enough. Everything on the watch is original. I have been looking everywhere on the internet and have not found anything to put a price on it, so I am here for advice on value.
View attachment 211917 View attachment 211919
Hello kkeckk ,
You can accept my friend request please

See you soon
Xavier

#31 ·
I apologize if I was ignorant to the forum rules, though I am not assuming any value to the watch or trying to sell it here. Just thought I would share a cool story about the watch. The name “Jimmy McDonald” is one of the original voice actors for Mickey Mouse. My grandparents got to know Walt Disney through a friend, and through that relationship they got invited to dinner with Jimmy (where the watch was presented). Does anyone here know the best way to get the watch valued and/or get in touch with collectors? I don’t know if posting the pictures of all the serial numbers on here is a great idea just in case they get used to produce fakes. Didn’t expect to get replies on here so I forgot to check back sooner! Thanks everyone

#32 ·
Apology accepted, although the WTF Rules of Conduct ARE readily available to anyone who bothers to look.
........................................................................................................................................................................

But as to the watch; it is most definitely a cool story. It's hard to get cooler than being able to say they associated with Walt Disney & Company. Pity that you supply no provenance on the watch or the friendships involved!

As a result, to put an official value to the watch, I'd say do your homework and search the web for antiques appraisers, or log onto Angie's List and let them search for appraisers on your behalf. (I'd say it's worth the effort, inasmuch as genuine Mickey Mouse Accutrons have SOLD on eBay for close to one thousand dollars (Ebay >Advanced Search>Sold Listings)!

To get in touch with collectors, do what you're doing right now! Haunt all the watch collector websites and advertise your desires at what you think are the most likely forums to achieve success.

And no. Posting pix of watch serial numbers in general is not a good idea. It has nothing to do with "the ability to generate fakes" That can be done with ANY randomly chosen number with the correct amount of digits! The prevailing idea (if I understand it correctly) is that unscrupulous people can take that serial number, claim the watch is stolen, and generate a false insurance claim for the money. Such an event could bite you in the ass when you go to sell the watch on a legitimate venue (like one of the established auction houses).

Our best wishes and good luck!

#33 ·
Is this where the sarcastic comment comes in about large auction house companies? For the clueless type people with provenance proven watches, a large auction house is a good route to unload it. For people who get educated first on the watch and its value by various people, then you can bargain with the auction houses for low or no fees if they feature the watch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.