Jaeger-LeCoultre

Thread: Jaeger-LeCoultre

My Watchbox

Question Jaeger-LeCoultre

Hi,

My father-in-law passed away recently and we found, buried in a box, a watch. It says Jaeger-LeCoultre. I'm pretty good with Google, but I cannot seem to find this version.

I'm hoping that someone more knowledgeable than me about these things, which is pretty much any of the regulars to the watchtalkforums.info forums, could share some useful information about it.

Sadly, the settings on the camera were changed, but I didn't realize it at the time. The best of the photo's I took are up at dropbox. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fb7st6yoqq3dqx6/rIppM6W1Id

I really wish the pics were better. Just for the sake of saying so, on the darker of the two faces, the vertical bars could very well be part of the initials J L, and beneath them is the name It says Jaeger-LeCoultre.

Odds are that it's a fake since I cannot find any reference of it anywhere, then again, I haven't a clue. The last watch I bought was a Timex Indiglo in 1993...

Thanks for any info!

Paul

My Watchbox

Well, I searched Jaeger Lecoultre Reverso 18966585 and the first sites came up with "fake watch" I think your suspicions are right.

It is a shame that one of my favorite watches in the world is so common to fake. I'm even more sad to hear about your father-in-law passing.

My Watchbox

Your search results are interesting unto itself. A search of Jaeger Lecoultre Reverso 18966585 with Google yields zero results. Bing yields 2,960 results, but none of them are referencing fake watch. Even fake-watch.net doesn't have this model. I would think that watch forgers would not create a new design for a brand...

If the Jaeger Lecoultre website was working, I'd contact them directly. Anyone have an email address for them?
    Last edited by CometHunter; 07-07-2013 at 06:26 AM. Reason: URLs removed

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchTalkForums.info
    Advertisements

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Judging from the finishing inside the case, it's either the worst photo EVER or a fake.

Super Moderator WTF Veteran CometHunter's Avatar
    (I'm having a good day. Don't screw it up!)

My Watchbox

It's not that bad a photo...I think it's the watch.

First, you are right about the dark bars on the black dial. It is supposed to be a skeleton representation of the JLC logo. But I could find no such dial in my search either, using JLC Reverso Duo (which is what that is "supposed" to be). And NEVER underestimate the counterfeiter. They are always looking for new ways to fool the buying public. "I would think that watch forgers would not create a new design for a brand..." If the forger thinks that a new design will attract more customers, he's gonna do it!!!

GABatGH, that number you researched is probably not real, therefore no results would show. It also looks like a poor etching job as opposed to the quality engraving that JLC is known for.

Speaking of quality, I agree with ~tc~ about the finish inside the case. It looks very amateurish.

I did stumble upon one case picture, posted by a legit brick & mortar luxury watch dealer located in Airmont NY, just outside NYC. It doesn't quite look like the one from the OP.

By the way, the seller PhotoShopped the numbers from the case back on purpose before posting the image. It is too easy for a thief to take a real serial number from a real watch and file a fraudulent insurance claim for his "lost or stolen" watch.
    Last edited by CometHunter; 07-07-2013 at 07:35 AM. Reason: image added
    -Bill

WTF Administration Team
    The Hamilton Forum
    The Beginner's Watch Forum
    The *Original* Invicta Forum

Banned WTF Junior Member
    (Slowly getting accustomed)

My Watchbox

Well can't see by the pics that they are fake...but this watch is certainly very amazing...sorry to hear about your grand father..

My Watchbox

Thanks for all the replies.

I didn't really realized *how* bad the pics were. I'll get my hands on the watch in a few weeks. I'll take more pics, ensure that they're better, and then make a new post here.

Platinum Patron Member WTF Veteran WWIIBuff's Avatar

My Watchbox

I love JLC and would love to see better pics but, I also tend to think it is a knock off
    Gets the shakes if no watch talk in a 24 hour period

Banned WTF Veteran
    (Be faithful to one woman. Have flings with hundreds of watches. ™)

Beach Haven, NJ (no, it does not smell here)

My Watchbox

I don't think more pictures are necessary. If we were wagering, the money would be on it being a fake. I certainly wouldn't bet on it being authentic.

My condolences on your family's loss.

Thread Information