Recommend against buying Longines

WINNER OF THE LONGINES PHOTO COMPETITION

Thread: Recommend against buying Longines

Banned New Member

My Watchbox

Default Recommend against buying Longines

My opinion may be biased for those people considering buying Longines, but I'd like to express reservations about the Longines quality. I have bought Longines for two women in my life. You ask me why? Longines model provide the understated sophistication and classic tone, but I was deeply disappointed with the models. Both watches skip dates. The company only offered to fix the problem for money even though the quality issue has nothing to do with wearers' care. (I can provide passport numbers and model names).

I personally go with Jaeger le Coultre and Luminor Panerai.

Again, due to poor customer service (unresponsive) and quality issues with two separate models I would caution against considering Longines purchases. That's my biased opinion based on real life observation.

WTF Full Member
    (If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts)

My Watchbox

I think jlc and panerai are in a different class. With any brand you can have issues. I personally think longines was a nicer manufacture a few decades ago...

It's hard to comment on such sketchy information. For example we don't know when the watches were bought, where from (AD?, pre-owned? Grey market?), when the issues were noticed etc etc. But many people here have bought Longines both new and used and not had a problem. I hope you came to enjoy and share a hobby with us and not just do one post complaining. Why not share some pics and tell us about your watches?

Banned New Member

My Watchbox

Indeed, any brand can have a batch that fails a quality control issue. I'm personally against negative comments that are without merit. I like Presa's comment that Longine was a good brand a few decades ago.
    I think that Cartier is a better quality watch although it's a bit flashy.
    Wombat, the watches are bought from the stores (OEMs) with accompanying passports and registration. Of course, some people have no problem with Longines - after all some Chevrolet's or GMC's also don't require unnecessary maintenance and even Toyota had problem with some car models. But some companies that target the high-end product own up to their issues and provide unscheduled maintenance.
    Wombat, I only air what I find disconcerting with the watches. My post is to warn would be buyers about the brand. I think that is one use of this forum. Educate me on the hobby side.

Banned WTF Veteran
    (Be faithful to one woman. Have flings with hundreds of watches. ™)

Beach Haven, NJ (no, it does not smell here)

My Watchbox

We see hundreds of new Longines watches with very few complaints. There is still human error involved in making watches - which is why you have a warranty.

Well, I think if you want education on watches then it is up to you to get it. There is plenty of information on this site, including Denis's excellent Horology 101 series. Ask questions, get involved - that's how you get educated on a hobby.

My Watchbox

My pal bought a Vacheron-Constantin for over $20,000.
    He had problems with it- sent it back 3 times.
    So even a REAL high end piece can have problems. And yes- this is why we have warranty.
    I sent my Monaco back to TAG Heuer twice, actually.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2
    "Because he wants to reach for the stars and explore the ocean depths, because he lives out his passions to the fullest, man has always measured himself against time, to turn a few seconds into a moment of eternity." --- Bell & Ross advertisement

(Money Grows On trees in my World)

My Watchbox

I had a problem with my invicta thats a problem.. o wait thats a cheap watch thats why.

Thread Information