214 coil question

Winner of the Bulova-Accutron-Caravelle Masthead Contest
AWF_01_1

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By akkatron

Thread: 214 coil question

My Watchbox

Default 214 coil question

I have recently turned in my 214 Spaceview for service as it was not running. The diagnosis was that the electronic coil assembly was faulty. Is this a common failure in Accutrons? How difficult is it to find replacement coils? Anything I should be aware of in having this repaired? Thank you for your thoughts.

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

WAS it running for you and then randomly quit? The coils don't typically just stop working unless shorted or subject to significant moisture, shock (could break solder), or physical stress. If they aren't using a coil test meter and it's simply not humming, it could be a variety of things. Do you have any more information? If you replace the coil, make sure you find one that matches. They are different variations of three-wire (yellow wire) and two-wire (no yellow). They can be found relatively easily but at around $100.
    Catman8 likes this.

My Watchbox

Thank you for the note. It was running as long as I could keep it cool. If I wore the Accutron out in the sun or on a hot day, it would stop until it cooled then it would run again. I thought it may be a bad battery so I placed it on the shelf for a few years as I could not find the appropriate battery. I recently retired and would like to get it running again. I sent the watch to a repair facility and the bad coil was their diagnosis.

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

The big question is "Which repair facility?" I ask because it should be one familiar with these watches and one that has all the equipment to properly test them. I would not trust a facility that does not have personnel trained on these watches. The newer coil design for the 214 will work in all previous 214s.

The battery you need is a 387s. It has slightly higher voltage than the original mercury battery but works perfectly in these watches.
    Last edited by oliverb; 02-09-2013 at 12:07 PM.

A 214 takes a 387s battery
    Learn to live with it, learn to love it , diamonds are forever and so is Ric Flair

(First Astronaut)

My Watchbox

Nothing is more frustrating than a temperature sensitive 214 Accutron. My only experience with that problem was just last year. A watch that I have would run for days or even weeks in my watch box but would stop within minutes when on my wrist. Not wanting to throw good money after bad, I put off having it serviced. Eventually, Bob Piker talked me into letting him have a go at it. I wish I could say that the repair went smoothly but that was not the case. After two postal trips to Normal, Illinois, the watch looked much better but was still stopping when it warmed up. I was ready to give up but Bob was not and on the third try, he got it fixed. I don't recall what the problem was but I don't think it needed a coil transplant or if it did , Bob didn't charge me extra for parts. I wouldn't hesitate to get a second opinion.

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by accutron View Post
    A 214 takes a 387s battery
    Duh! My mistake. Corrected my info. Thanks.

My Watchbox

The repair facility I sent it to is Old Father Time. I was not having any luck finding another alternative repair source. SAM2, would you recommend Mr. Piker? If so, would you have his contact information?

My Watchbox

I had Bob work on my accutrons and he did a great job you can contact him at. [email protected]

Thread Information