Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Omega restoration triumph.

My Watchbox

Thanks!

My Watchbox

Lovely story and watch, enjoy it.

My Watchbox

Sadly it's not over yet... My joy was short lived when it became apparent there was a problem with the autowind mechanism, it was making quite a noise. So the watch went back to jewellers... and then came back to me with an implausible tale that 'it's just one of Omega's more noisy movements sir" - and no better.
    So not convinced and after taking it to another local watchmaker to have a listen, who confirmed it needed attention. I took it back again and insisted it was done properly. Off it went again to the Jewellers watchmaker and a week later I picked it up minus the rattling noise. Happiness.
    2 days later I discovered the crown winding was very stiff and sounded and felt like there was grit in it. not happiness.
    Fed up with being fobbed off by the jeweller with different lies (3 times at this point). The dial is another story!!! I took it to an independent watch maker to examine. which is where it is now. They know the jeweller and pass dial restorations on to them to go to Italy. So this could get interesting...
    I'm awaiting the news. and of course a bill in addition to the Jeweller's restoration bill.

fingers crossed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchTalkForums.info
    Advertisements

Banned WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by topboxtim View Post
    A little over 20 years ago, my Grandfather died suddenly and his widow, his 2nd wife, simply packed up his belongings and locked them in his workshop with all his tools, and that we sadly thought was that. I was told it had all been given away. So it was quite a surprise to find it all sitting there undisturbed when she passed away earlier this year. I found amongst it all a very sorry looking Omega Seamaster Memomatic. It wasn't working and the movement was clanking around inside, but still I was excited at the thought of getting it working again and having a quality lasting memory of him to hand down to my son. I took the watch to 3 different watch makers; 2 of whom told me it was rusted through and not worth their time to restore, and the 3rd quoted me £1200+ to see it working again. Rather downheartedly I trudged home with it in my pocket. On my route I passed a jewellers I had walked past hundreds of times in my life and never really looked in. This time however I noticed a small display of vintage Omegas in the window. So I thought I might as well just see if they would take a look...
    £800 lighter and 6 months older, I am the happiest new Omega owner on the planet!
    Attachment 34603
    Based on the history of this timepiece and its provenance - $800 WELL spent
    Great job and good for you.
    I am IMpressed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information