Help identify this Accutron

Winner of the Bulova-Accutron-Caravelle Masthead Contest
AWF_01_1

Thread: Help identify this Accutron

My Watchbox

Default Help identify this Accutron

Hello,
    This Bulova I have since today in my collection, but I do not know anything about it.
    It is 14kt gold and what I read about it it is a very rare model.
    I changed this watch for a Rolex Precision stainless steel.
    I want to know if this is worth it, because I like gold watches.

Thanks in advance

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Thanks for sharing pics of your beautiful 214 Accutron. Your watch has a gorgeous 1966 asymmetrical case. Others with more knowledge may be able to help with info on the rarity of this case in solid 14K gold.

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by oliverb View Post
    Thanks for sharing pics of your beautiful 214 Accutron. Your watch has a gorgeous 1966 asymmetrical case. Others with more knowledge may be able to help with info on the rarity of this case in solid 14K gold.

Thanks Oliverb

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
    I can't tell you how rare the case is, as far as I know there are no production numbers known, but it isn't very common. I think you made an excellent trade.
    Thanks for comment, if you hear more about this watch then let me know.

My Watchbox

I like to know much more about this watch.
    Please help.

There's just not much to tell you that you haven't already been told. If you take the back off and get a case number that might be a source of a little more information.
    As far as it being very rare, Bulova made so many different models of the Accutron a lot of them are comparatively rare. That doesn't necessarily make them worth a ton of money.
    Based on what I see on ebay, most watches are very rare.
    You have a nice watch there, one of which to be proud and, if you choose to use it, it could give you many years of good service.

(First Astronaut)

My Watchbox

All solid gold Accutrons are somewhat rare but some are more rare than others. The 18k cases with solid gold case backs are the most rare and were usually made by S&W (Schwab & Wuischpard) or by The Star Watch Case Company. They had the date code cast into the case back. In this case, I would say that the watch in question leans toward the upper end of rarity for the 14k watches. There were many variations of the asymmetrical case but the cut of the bezel is rather unusual. Those with a coin cut are more common. Years of looking at Accutron watches for sale, I recall only one or two that had the same case. A look inside may reveal a case number or the name of the foundry to add to our knowledge.

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by SAM2 View Post
    All solid gold Accutrons are somewhat rare but some are more rare than others. The 18k cases with solid gold case backs are the most rare and were usually made by S&W (Schwab & Wuischpard) or by The Star Watch Case Company. They had the date code cast into the case back. In this case, I would say that the watch in question leans toward the upper end of rarity for the 14k watches. There were many variations of the asymmetrical case but the cut of the bezel is rather unusual. Those with a coin cut are more common. Years of looking at Accutron watches for sale, I recall only one or two that had the same case. A look inside may reveal a case number or the name of the foundry to add to our knowledge.
    Thanks,
    Here are more pictures.

(First Astronaut)

My Watchbox

Having a case number helps but doesn't add much to our knowledge. Asymmetric case #2624 was made in 14k gold and in stainless. One similar case was made in stainless with a gold bezel but may or may not have had the 2624 case number. Case number 2625 was another asymmetric in all stainless that had the same bezel cut. All used a 29mm crystal # 1220-2. Unfortunately, many 214s of this style have been Spaceview converted. I have even seen them with the original dial cut out to resemble a chapter ring. The seconds hand is of particular interest. This is one of the earliest models to have the Accutron logo.
    It is nice to see one that hasn't been butchered.

Thread Information