Should I buy? - Ball Engineer Master II Diver Chronometer

WINNER OF THE BALL WATCH PHOTO COMPETITION

Thread: Should I buy? - Ball Engineer Master II Diver Chronometer

My Watchbox

Default Should I buy? - Ball Engineer Master II Diver Chronometer

The short of the story is that I found someone who is local selling a Ball watch that appears to be in good shape and at a decent ask price. I have three questions: 1) what is a good price for this watch? It was apparently purchased in 2008 and has all documentation. The owner claims that it's in excellent condition. 2) Any thoughts on this watch? I was originally leaning toward the Free Fall model or certain Breitling models (Hercules or Super Avenger). 3) Based on the blury photos, are there reservations as to its authenticity?

This would be my first automatic (or substantial) watch purchase.

Any advice is greatly appreciated - it sounds like I may have to buy this tomorrow if I want to get it.

Photos are below
    Ball 2.jpgBall 1.jpg

My Watchbox

No idea on a fair value. Your best bet would be to search the sales forums to see what they're selling for. Also, check eBay. Look at completed auctions & see what they've sold for. Ignore any that didn't sell as many ask way too much for them. But take an average of what they've sold for, factoring in boxes, papers, etc. and you'll have a god idea. You may need to add a little to the amount for doing it locally & not having to pay shipping and knowing your getting what you paid for. Since ebay has more risk than a face to face, people do factor that in. If you're worried about authenticity see if there's an AD in your area. You could meet there, look it over & if it looks good have the dealer confirm it before paying the guy (just do the transaction outside the store, I don't think it's proper to do the actual business in the store). If there isn't a dealer, but he has paperwork just make sure the SN of the watch matches the paperwork. If it does I think you're fine. Maybe even call the store & see if they have record of it selling if you really want verification.

Good luck!

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by Scott D View Post
    No idea on a fair value. Your best bet would be to search the sales forums to see what they're selling for. Also, check eBay. Look at completed auctions & see what they've sold for. Ignore any that didn't sell as many ask way too much for them. But take an average of what they've sold for, factoring in boxes, papers, etc. and you'll have a god idea. You may need to add a little to the amount for doing it locally & not having to pay shipping and knowing your getting what you paid for. Since ebay has more risk than a face to face, people do factor that in. If you're worried about authenticity see if there's an AD in your area. You could meet there, look it over & if it looks good have the dealer confirm it before paying the guy (just do the transaction outside the store, I don't think it's proper to do the actual business in the store). If there isn't a dealer, but he has paperwork just make sure the SN of the watch matches the paperwork. If it does I think you're fine. Maybe even call the store & see if they have record of it selling if you really want verification.

Good luck!
    Thank you - I did look on ebay but only found completed listings for lesser Ball watches. The ask price is less than that, but not so out of line that it seems like a scam. The ask is $1300 and the original list of it is $3299. Thoughts?

My Watchbox

Also, does anyone have any reservations or aversion to titanium?

WTF Veteran
    (Of all the watches I have had... Not one Omega has ever been bad!��)

My Watchbox

That sure seems like a great deal to me! I have no problem with titanium, especially in a dive watch. Titanium does not corrode, is non magnetic and helps keep the weight of substantial watches down.
    Good luck with your decision,
    Jeff

My Watchbox

I ended up getting it for 1200 but it only came with the manual and box. It's kept great time, as a chronometer should, and was a great purchase. It had typical wear for a three year old watch.

As far as other bands, is there a leather band that will fit it? How difficult is it to change bands back and forth or is that a bad idea?

Forum Sponsor WTF Full Member Beinwatched's Avatar
    (Official AD - Ball Watch)

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by BigJStyle1 View Post
    I ended up getting it for 1200 but it only came with the manual and box. It's kept great time, as a chronometer should, and was a great purchase. It had typical wear for a three year old watch.

As far as other bands, is there a leather band that will fit it? How difficult is it to change bands back and forth or is that a bad idea?
    Congrats, The Ebay thing always scares me. Glad you got a good one! There is not an official Ball leather for that watch although there is a rubber strap. I like leather unless you are diving and roberev knows a place that has a beautiful black buffalo strap with cream stitching that looks great on that watch. PM him, I don't remember where it is from but I got 2 myself. Once you change the band a couple times it is easy and well worth it! Totally changes the look.
    Mike
    Mike Caniglia, Owner
    Vera's Fine Jewelers
    Official AD (Ball Watch)
    Sponsor of Watch Talk Forums

My Watchbox

Thanks for the tip! I actually bought this off craigslist and talked watches with the guy over a beer. It was much better being able to meet the previous owner and inspect the watch instead of taking someone's word for it.

Thread Information