Accutron Repair Learning Curve - Page 2

Winner of the Bulova-Accutron-Caravelle Masthead Contest
AWF_01_1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Accutron Repair Learning Curve

My Watchbox

Akkatron / Johnny,

Thanks for the write-up of your experience. Your words echo my experience almost exactly, even down to having made the same mistakes (broken pawl jewel and disappearing date trip springs). I posted on another forum ( Accutron Date Indicator Repair Problem - National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Message Board ) about my problems with flying date trip springs and was told that "The calendar mechanisms are quite robust and easy to work on" and that "flying date trip springs should not be an issue". Hmm, well, perhaps, but they're still challenging for me!

Thanks also for the description of your technique for getting the gear train together. I'm a long ways from being comfortable with that and am still likely to botch something about 50% of the time. I recommend this decent, photo-documented write-up of how to reassemble an Accutron 218 gear train:
    Third Wheel Installation

Cheers,

-abe.

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

Another thing,

Never remove the train bridge and setting stem at the same time. The one-way cylindrical setting gear will fall into the front of the movement. This requires removal of the dial, to put the gear back in the proper place. Trust me I tried everything, and because it lines up next to a spring, it's impossible to realign it.

Hope this helps

My Watchbox

Hmm, that is good advice. You could almost shorten that to: never remove the train bridge. Which one is the cylindrical setting gear? Do you mean the clutch wheel or the setting lever screw?

Here's another "gotcha":
    When removing the crown, never loosen the setting lever screw more than 2 1/2 times or the setting lever will become disengaged from the lever. This requires you to take the hands and dial off, then to disassemble the entire calender just to get at the setting mechanism. When I first started tinkering with Accutrons and made this mistake, I thought: You must be joking - I need to disassemble the entire movement because, in performing a common operation, I turned a screw one turn too many! This seems like a design fault. I love the Accutron and for the most part the movement is a thing of beauty, but surely this can't be a good idea.

-abe.

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

I mean the clutch wheel with the interesting teeth. Sometimes the gears need to be cleaned if it has been sitting for 30 years. :/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information