Vintage Speedmaster Pre Moon help needed

WINNER OF THE SEAMASTER PHOTO COMPETITION

Heritage Auction

Thread: Vintage Speedmaster Pre Moon help needed

My Watchbox

Default Vintage Speedmaster Pre Moon help needed

I am interested in a Vintage Speedmaster - a pre moon ideally. This is for 2 reasons - I want something genuine which from what little I have read means getting something from approx 1965 the Pre-Professional 105.003 Ed White watch. There are other models - the 105.012 and 145.012, but the 105.003 is what I understand to be 'the grail watch'. The second reason is what attracted me to the Speedmaster is its link to Space exploration. I intend to wear the watch on a fairly regular basis - once a fortnight in an office environment so it shouldn't degrade.

I have found dealers selling these watches and would like the following help - what should I expect to pay for a pristine example and exactly why / how special / rare are these watches. I have found dealers in London with them for approx £3,500, while another has one for £7,000 and doesn't seem to be able to explain why his watch is so much more. I will grant him that his is in exquisite condition, but given part of the reason for my interest in a vintage watch is as a future investment - 10-20 years, I don't see why his is worth so much more. A brand new moonwatch in the Omega boutique is 'only' £2190, so I don't see why there is quite that margin of difference, especially when the dealer couldn't give any special reason.

Information about valuing / understanding the value would be most welcome. I am also considering a Montblanc Timewalker TwinFly, mainly because the design pleases me, but I don't want to dismiss the Speedmaster too early.

Please help!

My Watchbox

My initial advice is take plenty of time and wait until the right watch at the right price comes along (from a 'known' seller with a return option if you're not satisfied), and then move quickly and aggressively as there will be others like yourself in the hunt. Also sure you also 'buy the seller' because a reputable person is more likely to be honest and transparent about the true condition of the watch.

As an example, I spent ~2 years reading, researching and regularly monitoring all the usual websites with the aim of establishing the market's asking prices for a the '67 c321 145.012 (it's a birth year thing). After a while, I built up a feel for the various model-vs-condition-vs-price scenarios. Then earlier this summer, one in great condition came up for sale in Scotland with an asking price of £2,600 from somone well known on TZ-UK -- and we sealed the deal.

Other factors to consider as well are:

* Original hands & dial, or go with service options (advantages & disadvantages to either option)
    * Pre-pro have an additional premium
    * Ebay sales prices have a 10% premium (if not more) because of the typical Ebay/PayPal levies.

Here's a few pics of the watch I recently purchased...

Karl.

PS: You probably know this, but here's a useful scraper to keep an eye on Speedmaster sales...

Elite Deal Seeker

My Watchbox

Default Thanks!

Thank you so much for your reply. It was very detailed and has really helped me. I have found a local dealer with a 105.003 and a 145.012 to view which I will take a look at. I have come to the conclusion the London dealer's £7,000 asking price was far too high. The local dealer is offering excellent condition watches for around £2,500 which seems much more realistic.

I will take my time and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Thread Information