Opinions on Best Speedmaster Bracelet?

WINNER OF THE SEAMASTER PHOTO COMPETITION

Heritage Auction

Thread: Opinions on Best Speedmaster Bracelet?

Default Opinions on Best Speedmaster Bracelet?

I've got either a '67 or '68 Omega Speedmaster Professional. My mother bought it for my father when we were stationed on Guam back in the '60s. How the wife of an E-6 Petty Officer was able to afford that with 4 kids to support I don't know!

Anyhow, since it's now in my hands I want to see if there are any good looking bracelets out there. My father was murder on bracelets for this watch so I know it's not anywhere near the original, though it is an Omega. It's just a little less "beefy" for my preferences.

So what do you guys have on your Speedmasters? Anything that really compliments the watch and your wrist?

Just an FYI...I'm a big man, 6'4", 270lbs. Hence the desire for a "beefy" bracelet.

My Watchbox

I'm an originality nut so I'd try to find a nice original type for it, maybe ofrei.com has something acceptable. other that that I might try to see if a current Speedmaster bracelet might fit then you'd have the best of both worlds, current Omega that's strong and very comfortable..and looks good with a Speedmaster.

got pictures? I' sure love to see one of that vintage

Default I believe I have the "original" bracelet...

Thanks Diver88 for that website!

Looking at the bracelet that he lists as, pretty much, the one that came with the watch it appears my dad spent the money on a replacement of the same type. I'm attaching a picture which is not great but I'm just learning on how to take watch pics!

So it looks like I don't have to pursue this issue any further. Whether or not I love it, this is the authentic/original bracelet that goes on the watch and I'm not going to change it. That's good enough for me.

I promise more pics when I get better at this...or get a better camera!

My Watchbox

looks good to me, thanks for the picture.

I've never worn that style of Omega bracelet, is it comfortable to you? does it fit you well?

remember, you can always add a new style Speedmaster bracelet (very nice and comfortable) or a leather strap, even a velcro strap for comfort with the knowledge you have an original style to put back whenever you wish. but then again, if you wear this one for a while you may become so accustomed to it you wouldn't want to wear anything else.

again, pictures are always appreciated and if you need any help just ask, I'll do what I can.

diver88

Banned WTF Veteran
    (Be faithful to one woman. Have flings with hundreds of watches. ™)

Beach Haven, NJ (no, it does not smell here)

My Watchbox

This oughta help with vintage bracelet choices for the Speedmaster:

part 1: Speedmaster bracelets, straps etc

part 2: Speedmaster bracelets, straps etc

My Watchbox

Hey Mate,

What a great watch.

I totally aggree with what Diver has said, originality is the key. However now that you have found that you have an original bracelet you can try a few different things. For example, a shark mesh style of bracelet appears to be popular at the moment, at least you can always go back to the original when wanting a change.

Cheers
    Regards Aaron.

W.T.F. member since the day it started.

OMEGA

My Watchbox

In the past, I've tried several different bracelets on my Speedies in addisiton to the ones shown here:

My favorite, and most people's grail, is the 1450 (third from the right) from the late 80's.

My next favorite is the 1498/1499 bracelet (second from the right) which is similar to the current 1998 but without the push buttons.

The currently available 1171/633 is a relatively inexpensive way to attain the tapered vintage look as well.

My least favorite are the 1479 and the current 1998. The 1479 lacks the flexibility of the other bracelets and the 1998 is too heavy and clunky.

Fr. John†

My Watchbox

Fr. John,

it's nice to see those all together for comparison like this..

my favorite as far as looks is the second from the right, and feel the 1998 far right current.. the OP said he was a bigger guy, I'm assuming with larger wrists and since my wrist is right at 8" the heavier, clunkier one feels very comforting in a way.. but I think I've tried on the 2cd from right and if I remember correctly it was the best of all worlds being comfortable with some weight (more that the 1171) and felt substantial.. does that make sense?

I generally like bracelets (not a strap guy for the most part) but would you say the weight of the Speedmaster is balanced alright on say a crock strap?

Default Heavier, Clunkier...hey, wait...that's me!

Quote Originally Posted by diver88 View Post
    the OP said he was a bigger guy, I'm assuming with larger wrists and...the heavier, clunkier one feels very comforting in a way...
    that's exactly the way I feel Diver88!

Thanks all for the compliments on the watch and the ideas/links/comparisons of the bracelets. I think I might have to start trying a couple of straps, just to see how they look and feel, as well as picking up one of the 1498 or the 1998s.

I'm glad I stumbled upon and joined this forum...you guys rock.

My Watchbox

I currently wear the 1450 on my vintage 105.012 and the 1498 on my custom cal 861 Speedy Pro. My brown dialed Speedy Pro came on a strap, no bracelet.

In today's mail, an 1171 and a 1499 arrived. I plan to replace the 1450 with the 1171 for a while. The 1499 will go on the "chocolate sandwich" for summer wear.

The taper of both will provide the proper vintage look for my Speedy Pros in addition to being super comfortable.

Fr. John†

Thread Information