Made in....? - Page 3

THE *OFFICIAL* LÜM-TEC Forum

CLICK ON THE BANNER TO VISIT THE OFFICIAL LÜM-TEC HOME PAGE:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Made in....?

My Watchbox

Apple Computer puts "Designed in California" on the packaging of their products.

Lüm-Tec could do the same thing! (although why they'd say 'Designed in California, when they're almost 2000 East is beyond me)

Stainless Steel Patron Member WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

"Born in the USA"

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by sidecross View Post
    The ‘Made In’ question is a story unrelated to ownership, design, and business structure.

Levis and Wrangler jeans once both stood for made in the USA, but now most are made in other counties.

Those who wanted a ‘Great Free Market’ system now have most of what they wanted. You only have to read the business news to read about the consequences.
    Sidecross, you said it !

(But I think I've seen "German" watches that say "Made in Germany" on the face when a Swiss movement is on the inside -- often the very same Swiss movement that's inside my Lum-Tec.)

Here is how I feel about the global, "free" market: Our business leaders and government leaders together gave away our country.
    M12 M13 M25

Stainless Steel Patron Member WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by Charles M13 View Post
    Our business leaders and government leaders together gave away our country.
    I wouldn't overlook the budget-conscious consumer. Anybody in America who's ever tried to start a small business knows what it's like to compete with goods and services manufactured someplace else with cheaper labor costs.

The best slogan I've seen, recently, is "Buy Local."

Support anybody in your town who's trying to get a small business off the ground, whether it's an "organic farmer," with ten acres, or a crafts co-op that features artisan bread bakers, etc.

We live in an area that's very expensive to ship to, so everything that arrives in this part of Colorado has attached to it a very high fuel tariff. About ten years ago, co-ops sprung up around the valley, and, today, you can buy fresh local produce for about what the local Kroger is selling it for. Nobody's getting rich, but it's less of a struggle than it used to be.

We just have to make a conscious decision to check labels. Some of the folks complaining most bitterly about the lack of employment opportunity are driving imported pickup trucks, wearing imported clothes and accessories, and drinking imported beer.

The ankle bone's connected to the shin bone.

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by Ladd Gardner View Post
    I wouldn't overlook the budget-conscious consumer. Anybody in America who's ever tried to start a small business knows what it's like to compete with goods and services manufactured someplace else with cheaper labor costs.

We just have to make a conscious decision to check labels. Some of the folks complaining most bitterly about the lack of employment opportunity are driving imported pickup trucks, wearing imported clothes and accessories, and drinking imported beer.

The ankle bone's connected to the shin bone.
    A sovereign nation cannot be sovereign unless it protects what it needs to support itself. It is NOT the responsibility of consumers and small businesses to police what they buy. You can't tell citizens not to shop at Wal-Mart, nor should anyone have to worry about it. YOU MUST put virtual borders around your sovereign nation to keep from outsourcing to places around the world that have NOT caught up to us in terms of human rights and individual power. Virtual SLAVE labor makes what is imported here and undercuts our own people.

BTW: I drive German cars. I am happy to support the well-paid, free German worker. European products are not our problem, because European people enjoy liberties and financial power similar to what US citizens to; they are part of the same civilization that fought for and earned individual power through blood and sweat. It is the backward (yes, backward) countries and civilizations we should not support, because the virtual slave labor undercut our own workers. They must build their own economies and gain their own individual power before they can trade fairly with us.

Paying more is not the issue. The US is virtually an entire continent of resources and people. The people of the US built their own economy BEFORE we imported cheap products. Cheap products DO NOT add to our standard of living.

It is the responsibility of our government to protect our our country, and this should mean preserving the hard-earned labor and business standards that we enjoyed for 100 years.

What you buy individually will make NO difference, I am sorry to tell you.
    Last edited by Charles M13; 03-29-2011 at 04:54 PM.
    M12 M13 M25

My Watchbox

So the government should restrain trade and interfere with the free market? Guess Lüm-Tec will be going out of business now...

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by sgrenald View Post
    So the government should restrain trade and interfere with the free market? Guess Lüm-Tec will be going out of business now...
    The market is not "free" when our people must compete with backward places that have not developed their own standard of living. We built our own country and our standards and wages grew with it. No outside country outsourced to our ancestors.

The economy is part of our nation, and it must be protected. If you do not do this, the end result will be nothing made here, and worthless dollars going to places like China.

Would you like to work, actually producing something, and get paid like a Chinese worker? If you can answer that question, you will know what I am talking about.

A nation's economy, on a continental scale like ours in the US, is a COMPLEAT system that must work together without outside UNDERCUTTING.
    M12 M13 M25

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

I worked for both Toyota and Mercedes Benz in authorized dealers and was ‘factory trained’ by both manufacturers.

In the 1970’s thru the late 1980’s Mercedes Benz were made by Turkish workers and the way the Germans treated them makes our racism in America an even contest.

In the 20 years I worked for these two manufacturers the difference between the Japanese and German production was like day and night.

We had plenty of German made cars with serious manufacturing problems even though the car was a marvel of engineering.

While the Japanese cars did not match the engineering of the German car we never experienced problems of manufacturing during that same period.

To be sure I am only writing about a 20 year period in the past, but it should be noted about Germany’s use of Turkish workers and how they are treated.

The problem of a “Free Market System” will not be solved on a watch forum.

I will simply state that a current population of 7 billion people with Earth’s limited resources will be more a conundrum than one with a simple answer.
    Between the idea
    And the reality
    Between the motion
    And the act
    Falls the Shadow

T. S. Eliot

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by sidecross View Post
    I worked for both Toyota and Mercedes Benz in authorized dealers and was ‘factory trained’ by both manufacturers.

In the 1970’s thru the late 1980’s Mercedes Benz were made by Turkish workers and the way the Germans treated them makes our racism in America an even contest.

In the 20 years I worked for these two manufacturers the difference between the Japanese and German production was like day and night.

We had plenty of German made cars with serious manufacturing problems even though the car was a marvel of engineering.

While the Japanese cars did not match the engineering of the German car we never experienced problems of manufacturing during that same period.

To be sure I am only writing about a 20 year period in the past, but it should be noted about Germany’s use of Turkish workers and how they are treated.

The problem of a “Free Market System” will not be solved on a watch forum.

I will simply state that a current population of 7 billion people with Earth’s limited resources will be more a conundrum than one with a simple answer.

Overpopulation is one reason there are billions who will work for almost nothing. Those desperate billions were not born in the US or any western nation. Another good reason not to allow the economy we built to be diluted into that desperation.

My Benz and Bimmers run great, and any Turks who might have worked on their assembly would have come to Germany because the wages are better there. (And the German workforce is not an "army" of Turkish people working under a communist dictatorship.) The German economy is strong -- it dominates Europe -- while workers in Germany are still paid well.

I've met people who've worked on Japanese assembly lines; you would not want their jobs. They have described to me the extreme rigidity, limitations on movement, and inhuman push on the worker. (Don't even get started on Japanese racism, either...it is far worse.)

I even have a brother-in-law in Romania, an electrical engineer, who tried working in a Samsung (Korean) flat screen TV plant managed and owned by Koreans there...Horrible conditions, 11 hour days, slave wages, inhuman limitations on breaks and movement...you name it. And it was judged horrible even by the very modest Romanian standards.

I own a company, and I like to pay decently for whatever services I purchase. Maybe I sense that it is bad karma to treat people like servants. I am certain it has something to do with my European ancestry and American culture, of which I am justifiably proud.

One reason I like wearing a Lum-Tec watch is because I know it was put together by a family-owned business in Ohio that employs a few people and gives them a good place to work...and the movement was made in Switzerland where working life is also similarly civilized and humane.

And thus...back to watches.
    Last edited by Charles M13; 04-05-2011 at 02:02 PM.
    M12 M13 M25

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by Charles M13 View Post
    Overpopulation is one reason there are billions who will work for almost nothing. Those desperate billions were not born in the US or any western nation. Another good reason not to allow the economy we built to be diluted into that desperation.

My Benz and Bimmers run great, and any Turks who might have worked on their assembly would have come to Germany because the wages are better there. (And the German workforce is not an "army" of Turkish people working under a communist dictatorship.) The German economy is strong -- it dominates Europe -- while workers in Germany are still paid well.

I've met people who've worked on Japanese assembly lines; you would not want their jobs. They have described to me the extreme rigidity, limitations on movement, and inhuman push on the worker. (Don't even get started on Japanese racism, either...it is far worse.)

I even have a brother-in-law in Romania, an electrical engineer, who tried working in a Samsung (Korean) flat screen TV plant managed and owned by Koreans there...Horrible conditions, 11 hour days, slave wages, inhuman limitations on breaks and movement...you name it. And it was judged horrible even by the very modest Romanian standards.

I own a company, and I like to pay decently for whatever services I purchase. Maybe I sense that it is bad karma to treat people like servants.

One reason I like wearing a Lum-Tec watch is because I know it was put together by a family-owned business in Ohio that employs a few people and gives them a good place to work...and the movement was made in Switzerland where working life is also similarly civilized and humane.

And thus...back to watches.
    You make a very good argument for my very dated reference to German and Japanese automobile production.

I buy LUM-TEC watches for the very same reason you do.
    Between the idea
    And the reality
    Between the motion
    And the act
    Falls the Shadow

T. S. Eliot

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information