Help please st2998 speedy dial

WINNER OF THE SEAMASTER PHOTO COMPETITION

Heritage Auction

Thread: Help please st2998 speedy dial

My Watchbox

Default Help please st2998 speedy dial

I have owned vintage watches for a good few years now and have 2 speedmasters. I purchased my latest some months ago and sent it to S.T.S for a service and redial.
    I have the original dial, which I first thought was the overpainted original, but after getting it out the box the other day to have a look, I noticed markings on the back that I overlooked before.
    I am now of the opinion that this is a special order dial, or a redial at purchase .

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP..

The watch is a cal 321 ST 2998 ref 177618**

This dates this as 1960 and it has the lollipop hand..

I have attached the front of the dial in pics, and will post the reverse now entitled reverse speedt
    Attached Images

My Watchbox

Default speedy reverse dial photos

As promised the reverse of the suspect dial please help if you can. Thank you guys in advance
    Attached Images

(Arte et Marte)

My Watchbox

The word "Speedmaster" is missing from the front of the dial, have a look at the following information by Chuck Maddox on Speedmaster dials here.

Also, "SWISS MADE" is missing from the bottom of the dial.

Does your Speedy have luminous "Alpha" hands (radium)? Below is a photo of the 2998 from the Omega Vintage Watches Imformation site:

Brian
    Last edited by himmelblau; 10-28-2010 at 07:05 AM.
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page" St Augustine

Omega Watches Forum

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

It's a recent redial.
    Valuations given by me on this or any forum are my opinions and do not constitute certified appraisals. They are not legally binding to myself, my spouse or my heirs. I am not a watch appraiser.

My Watchbox

Default Thanks Guys

Thank you for the 2 quick responses, as for the watch itself I do not doubt the watch. It has the correct hands as per the photo you posted, and the sweep hand is the lollipop version. I have had it serviced and the case refinished, when it was serviced they replaced the cracked plastic crystal:::: the pushers and the crown, these have obviously been retained by myself to stay with the watch... At the same time I had the watch redialled to correct the mistakes you guys mentioned, after a long wait from switzerland an (original ) dial was forthcoming.The hands are original to the watch, but the dial in the initial post I had thought like yourselves was a redial or overpainted... The markings on the reverse, along with the fact that jean Singer and Co. supplied dials and are a French company suggested that this was the original dial, that had been returned to the manufacturer on purchase for remarking..

Any thoughts on this, The dials were made in france, the painting or remarking instructions are in French,

Has anybody seen anything like this before.....

I am thinking of putting this mystery dial back on the watch.

HELP
    Attached Images

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

White lume=redial. No way original lume would still look like that. The dial is in fact an "original" speedmaster dial. However, the finish is not original or even a 60s refinish. The lume available at that time was tritium or radium. Both age to yellow in a short period of time.
    Valuations given by me on this or any forum are my opinions and do not constitute certified appraisals. They are not legally binding to myself, my spouse or my heirs. I am not a watch appraiser.

Thread Information