New arrival, Seiko 6309-7040

WINNER OF THE JAPANESE & ASIAN PHOTO COMPETITION

Thread: New arrival, Seiko 6309-7040

My Watchbox

Default New arrival, Seiko 6309-7040

I had been looking at getting one of these vintage Seiko Divers model 6309-7040 for a couple of months. The reason is that I believed it to fit my wrist better then the regular SKX divers. Also I had a mod in mind and I wanted something that was vintage looking. So when I found one on bracelet (I don't like rubber straps) that looked like a good deal I snatched it.

I have to say that I am no expert on vintage Seiko divers, I did read a bit about the 6309 model, saw a few photos and I learned a few things in reading posts on the forums. However I don't think that I could recognize an original part from an aftermaket one. But in truth, does this matter much? Not really, at least to me:

I was expecting great things from this watch but when it arrived it blew away all my expectations. Here was a great watch some 25 year old in great shape looking more like being a few months old and little used certainly loved and in much better shape that I would ever have imagined.

Some of the reasons that made this exciting for me were that the watch had received some service, cleaning and lubricating, gaskets replacement, etc. it also had passed a WR test. In addition I can see that the case is in great shape a part for a ding on the crown side. But I would expect that from a 25 years old watch. Otherwise the case is great, the finish may be still the original one as the top is brushed and the bottom is polished. The best part is that the case is wide, 44 mm and it sits totally flat on the wrist, it is very comfortable. The watch is large and solid but not heavy. The bracelet is an oyster or super oyster maybe, and it has solid end links. These are solidly connected to the case with no rattle and look great on the watch, at least in my opinion. The links are adjusted via screws which is better then the usual pins and collars.

The bezel turn both ways, it is easy to grab and turn but it offers fair resistence and it is secure, I cannot imagine it to turn or spin on its own by mistake. The lume pip seems aged as it is brownish in color. The bezel insert seems different from the other ones I have seen on other watches, in that it slopes downward toward the glass instead of from the glass, this makes the outer edge of the bezel a little taller then the insert and the glass thus protecting these from scratches. The whole watch is not very tall, maybe 15 mm or so, making this very manageable and easily balanced on the wrist.

The crown action is great, plenty of thread in there and easy to operate. The position and the size of it, even if protected by the case, makes it easy to be grasped and turned which ever way. It is very easy and positive to use and adjust the time or date as well as screw it down. Talking about the time, this watch keeps great time at about -10 seconds per day for the couple of days I wore it. I heard all sort of stories about the time keeping of these vintage Divers, but I have to say that my first hand experience is very interesting. Such timekeeping is hard to find on brand new automatic watches some times. So I guess with proper service one of these 20-30 years old movements can still keep great time, this one does.

This is one of the best looking Seiko Dials, it has great design and it is plenty legible. The pleasing lines of the indices probably are the reason for such great success. This one has been relumed with blue lume, it seems whitish when not charged and it is decently applied. The hands are my only real complain. It is not that they don't work or that there is anything wrong with them, I just simply don't like them. I never liked the shape of the Seiko Divers hands and these being the original shape, are simply ugly. This obviously is my opinion and I am sure that some love them. Anyway, they are ugly to me but they are also relumed and while the blue lume of both dial and hands, is not the greatest or brightest, it lasts all night. It easily compares with the Seiko lume for longevity while not as bright initially. The day/date wheels also seem different from regular SKK divers, they seem made of different color, not white but more silver type. They are nice to look at and seem to work perfectly.

In summary this is a great watch that could be produced newly maybe with a few updates here and there. For example I find the shape of the "cushion" case a bit odd, but the size should be retained and, in my opinion, only the lugs should be elongated so as to be 4-5 mm longer like the Sumo. Of course the case could be upgraded to have more WR, 200 or even 300 meter. A nice bracelet could be optional and the lugs could be drilled through. Maybe they could even resurrect the movement and maybe upgrade it to keep its reliability and increase its precision. But these are really only small upgrades. This is a watch that can please, you have to like it though. As with everything beauty is in the eye of the beholder and while personally I find the watch great and functional, I still don't like the hands shape and find the case a little to cushiony for my taste. But this is merely a personal preference and liking, so very subjective. Most of the above are facts and mostly objective so I hope these can help others in making their opinion about such fine watch. I consider myself very lucky to have found such fine specimen of such an iconic diver and I know that it may not be the same for most of them, but I think that there are some good examples of these around that one can have maybe for a little premium and if one likes this, I feel it is worth it.

It is almost too bad that the watch is so good as I wanted it to be my next custom project but being so nice I feel bad about even thinking of changing parts on it... no kidding, I find it too good to mod.

Anyway, while I think about it I thought to share some impressions and photos of such iconic watch, I wish I could do a better job of the photos, but for the moment these are it.

My Watchbox

Nice find, really a great looking piece. Congrats!

Congratulations and welcome to the club. This is one of the finest Seiko diver anyone could buy imo. Love the lume work and that bracelet. I feel that the original Seiko hands give it an identity and I love them. Maybe they might grow on you.

Cheers!

WTF Junior Member

My Watchbox

Wow, that 6309 seems to be in excellent shape. I too love the hands on the Seiko divers and wear my SKX007 all the time. Hopefully they'll grow on you as you enjoy your new watch. But to me, the cushion case on these vintage divers is a bit too much. It just doesn't do it for me, but if it did, I'd want your watch. It's so clean.

Congratulations on your find and wear it in good health.

-Mark

Quote Originally Posted by emarkd View Post
    Wow, that 6309 seems to be in excellent shape. I too love the hands on the Seiko divers and wear my SKX007 all the time. Hopefully they'll grow on you as you enjoy your new watch. But to me, the cushion case on these vintage divers is a bit too much. It just doesn't do it for me, but if it did, I'd want your watch. It's so clean.

Congratulations on your find and wear it in good health.

-Mark
    Mark,

I thought the same the first time I saw the cushion case. But it felt so great on wrist, it's hard to explain. You should try it and if you dont like it, a nice 6309-7040 will be gone in an instant you put it up for sale.

Cheers!

My Watchbox

Default Seiko 6309

Well, first of all thanks a lot for the kind words. I too enjoy sharing my thoughts and this is why I posted this in the first place. I also hope that in doing so I can help others by giving data and photos of whatever watch I can so that they can then increase their knowledge on these as well as compare to their view, what they like etc.

I was very hesitant at the beginning because I try to be practical mostly and in fact most of my watches are newer models that won't require maintenance etc. for a while. I cannot say how much I am pleasantly surprised by this 6309.

I too did not like the case at first, and I still don't care about the hands, however on the wrist it is another story. The watch sits comfortably and flat on the wrist. Not like some watches I have seen that have a deep case back and lugs that are 1-2 mm from the wrist. This add also balance to the watch and it basically sits solidly on the wrist. It is also wider then any SKX/monsters and so at 44-45mm it looks bigger on the wrist without being overly heavy.

As to the movement, well, even if this movement is 25 years old or more, it ticks away smoothly and precisely, keeping impressive time. I was told earlier that the time keeping was never the trademark of this movement, and was quoted 1-2 minutes difference per day. Maybe mine is not COSC but wearing this 24 hours a day, it varied about 25 seconds in more then 4 days which makes it actually less then I fist thought and more like 6 seconds per day. This is much better then my other diver that has the ETA 2824 in it... and I am not trying to say that Seiko is better then the ETA, I am simply saying that this movement is capable of keeping great time, I guess it was well serviced and adjusted.

My Watchbox

Default Well done & Congratulations Carlo! I enjoyed this post and your pics Sir...

A well done post Carlo, thanks & I really enjoyed reading your words & your nice photo's.

A short story of Romance with my 6309-7049:

To me, the Seiko 6309-704X divers watch is the all-time best Divers Watch ever made & brought into this world of WISdom we share! There is no Asian equal to it's unique design, superior longevity and quality features that this Iconic watch has delivered for so many years!

I still vividly remember the day I bought my 1st Brand New 6309-7049 diver & brought her home for the first time. It was a cool late summers evening in 1980 & there she was, all dolled-up and sitting pretty in that see-through plexyglass show case at the USMC base PX (I was in Love).

Poseidon falls for her-
    When I saw the beauty of this watch, I was instantly smitten by her sweet sexy wide smile and well endowed looks; so much so that she brought me to my knees with her innocint looking alure that evening, and I knew right then she was the one...I just had to have her!

That's me guys, I love SEIKO Dive watches first & foremost. I'm also an admirer of the fine examples from the land of the Swiss.

Best regards,
    Jimmy
    Last edited by Poseidon-Jim; 08-01-2010 at 09:54 AM.

My Watchbox

Default 6309 diver watch

Thank you my friend. Seiko Divers are generally well made, I have 4 of them and I like each one, maybe with a small tweak...

Generally though they are built for use and survival in rugged environment. Some are very practical and could be considered real tool watches.

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

Great watch. to me this is as classic as it comes to Seiko dive watch fanatics, of which I am one.

Congratulations on acquiring one of the watches that started it all for me, even though I don't own one yet.

Cheers!

Thread Information