WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

Need Recommendations for Fine Watches

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  mikeyt_53 
#1 ·
I am fairly new to mechanical watches, and I need your help. I would appreciate your recommendations in buying two mechanical watches. I am trying to do a number of things with these watches, and here is what they are:

• I am in my early 70’s and am buying them for myself, but I want to give one each to my two grandsons in perhaps ten to fifteen years (assuming I live that long!).
• As they are now ten and five years old, they would be then be in their early twenties.
• So, I’m looking for watches that are smartly casual and not too formal, as that would suit both me and, I think, my grandsons.
• I personally like a classic style. As I’m buying for both the ‘present’ and the ‘future’, I think a ‘classic’ style would do better than one which is currently ‘chic’ and may then look ‘dated’ in the future.
• Since these would ultimately be going to young men who might have limited means, I would like that the watches be fairly rugged (not too delicate and frequently needing repair) and not too expensive to maintain. I, too, want to wear the watches and not have them out for repairs and maintenance.
• Should they be automatic or manually wound?
• I plan to buy new watches, and my budget for each watch is $10,000 or less. This would match reasonably well with fine jewelry my wife plans to give to our granddaughters. No playing favorites here!

What do you think? I am eager to hear your suggestions! And thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
My first thought is that you probably couldn't go wrong with an Omega Speedmaster automatic chrono. And you can stretch this to the 'Moonwatch' version. Prices likely range from $2k to a little over $6k depending on the particular model. They're very good watches with a top notch name behind them, hold their value well, and are highly regarded in the watch community.

#8 ·
You know everyone has their favorite. If you can look at a couple at a dealer do so. It will really help. For many years I would have recommended a Breitling, but my current love affair is with Breguet. I just love my first one. Manual or auto, really makes little difference to me. Just don't get anything too flashy as your taste will evolve and a simple elegant watch will keep your interest longer. All just my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.