Kind Ladies and Gents of Omega Forums,
New member here looking for some purchasing advice from those who are smarter than me.
I have been meaning to purchase the Speedmaster Professional for some time now. When I came around to finally taking the plunge (about a month or two ago), I learned that the 1861 had been discontinued. Indeed, Omega boutiques in my area did not have any stock, and had no information on when a new shipment might come in.
I consoled myself with rumors of the 3861, which I decidedly prefer; the updated clasp, the new bracelet, the stepped dial, the ‘dot over 90’, all speak to me much more than the 1861. Upon the official announcement of the 3861, the Omega boutiques in my area informed me that they would receive the new piece in 2-3 months.
That being said, I have recently been lucky enough to ‘find’ (after some prodding) an Omega boutique in my area with one final 1861 in their inventory--the Hesalite version on a steel bracelet no less, the exact version I want to buy. Moreover, they are offering it to me at a 15% discount. This has placed me in a difficult predicament. I immediately reserved the watch, but I am honestly unsure what to do.
Despite the features of the 3861 that I decidedly prefer (explained above), there are some aspects of 1861 that I will nonetheless miss. In specific, the less wordy caseback (omitting the ‘in 1965’), and the older presentation box (with two additional straps which I will definitely put to use, an Omega loom, and the Speedmaster Seahorse paperweight), are features of the 1861 I wish I could keep. Moreover, the price difference is now even more significant, given the discount being offered on the 1861, and the premium on the 3861.
What do you think I should do? A part of me is telling me to purchase both, keep the 1861 in the box, and resell it in several years. Given the recent difficulty of acquiring this piece, I think I am very lucky to have it on reserve from an Omega boutique. Am I dumb to think this, as I have no idea how the 1861 might appreciate (or depreciate) in the years to come? Should I just save my money and purchase the 3861 in a few months when it becomes available at Omega boutiques in my area? Should I purchase the 1861 and call it mine?
Any advice would be appreciated. What would you do if you were me.
Thanks in advance to all.