Lets see your white dialed Astronauts.

Winner of the Bulova-Accutron-Caravelle Masthead Contest
AWF_01_1

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By BlackbirdM3
  • 1 Post By accutronredux
  • 1 Post By BlackbirdM3

Thread: Lets see your white dialed Astronauts.

My Watchbox

Default Lets see your white dialed Astronauts.

I recently picked up a white dialed Astro. From the pics I thought it was a silver dial one, but when it showed up, it turned out to be a white dial M9 type 1 US spec. My first thought was that it was a really bad redial, but then I looked closely at the font on the dial and saw that it matched my m5 black dial Astro, so likely not a redial. I did some more digging and found one other copy of a white dial but its an enhanced one, from 1968, so same time period as mine.

Clearly these are uncommon.
    IMG_1197.jpg
    IMOR4698.jpg
    IMG_1193.jpg
    Will

4CD7C6E4-4295-4585-AFCD-37C14F282F84.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
    I recently picked up a white dialed Astro. From the pics I thought it was a silver dial one, but when it showed up, it turned out to be a white dial M9 type 1 US spec. My first thought was that it was a really bad redial, but then I looked closely at the font on the dial and saw that it matched my m5 black dial Astro, so likely not a redial. I did some more digging and found one other copy of a white dial but its an enhanced one, from 1968, so same time period as mine.

Clearly these are uncommon.
    IMG_1197.jpg
    IMOR4698.jpg
    IMG_1193.jpg
    Will
    mikeyt_53 likes this.

My Watchbox

Interesting pair of Astro's. The Astro "B" since it has a Coffin Link on it in the ad would be a watch sold before 1965(Hence the early Letter designation). They phased out Coffin Links for the Bullet Band around that time. M9 would not put your watch in the category of an Astro "B" and also that Astro B is a simple silver Dial with no lume dots on the 1/2 hour marks. Yours has 1/2 hour lume dots, just like the black dial next to it.

Also that Black Dial Astro you have has a Swiss 24 Hour GMT Bezel on it which would not be found on a known USA Black dial Astro. Note both the Bezels you are showing are completely different font designs.

Simple Silver Astro "B" Dial:
    Last edited by Spaceview M2; 10-19-2020 at 02:56 PM.

My Watchbox

The black Astro is original. Its a 339, no prefix 6 digit swiss case with the large date code. The dial says T-swiss-T on the front at the bottom, and on the back is printed SWISS. Yes, it is different in that it says Bulova Accutron at the top, as the swiss black dial versions do. The white one is the US watch. The dial paint matches the same sheen as the black dial, almost like a lacquer finish. The serial number for the white dial one is G40821 the inside of the caseback does not have any number printed on it, just the instructions on how to remove the GMT dial and crystal. (Unlike the black one that has 339 printed on it, but no instructions. Here is the case back for the black one.
    Astro back..jpg
    Astro back exterior.jpg

Will
    Spaceview M2 likes this.

My Watchbox

That Black Dial Swiss variant sure is a unique beast. Not much info out there on that particular variant. Extremely rare to see one intact like that.

My Watchbox

The black dial one is rare as SM2 says. You normally see a mish mash of USA and swiss parts for them. To see one with the right model numbers in the caseback is a home run. The lume for these variants seems to change a lot. I posted lots of pictures I found of the "swiss marked" variants in the astro reference thread.

As far as the white dial goes, my opinion is that it is a redial. The "accutron" text seems off. The triangle markers are different as well. Reply with some higher resolution pictures and I can help compare it to other high-res dial pictures I have if you want confirmation. You don't see the white/cream/silver dials with dots on the dial unless it is one of the rare swiss marked variants. For comparisons sake, here is a side by side with one of those swiss variants since all the USA simple silvers do not have dots:

comparison.jpg

Thread Information