Coils with "patina" or something else?

Winner of the Bulova-Accutron-Caravelle Masthead Contest
AWF_01_1

Thread: Coils with "patina" or something else?

Stainless Steel Patron Member WTF Junior Member

My Watchbox

Default Coils with "patina" or something else?

Today I was working on an 218 "Woodie" datecode N3 with case style 3245. Below I've attached a picture of its cell/component coil assemblies, along with a spare I had sitting around for comparison. I assume the odd coil coloring is just patina/aging? I have seen some oddly colored coils posted before and thought this may be of interest to the forum.

IMG_20201009_145132.jpg

I'm getting proper continuity and resistance readings, but I think something's bad in the component assembly as this was a non-hummer. (Not sure how to test the transistor or capacitor short of desoldering, any advice appreciated!)

Edit: things were just gummed up on this one - a full service has this thing running perfect, despite the weird coils.
    Last edited by Dillworth; 10-09-2020 at 09:09 PM.

My Watchbox

I can't really tell from your pic, but I think those a green wire coils. Bulova must have ben short on wire or something at some stage, because for a short period of time they used wire that had greenish colored insulation on the wire instead of the usual natural color. I have seen a very few 214 coils like this also. I wouldn't worry about it, just consider it one of those Bulova anomalies we see occasionally and be happy you have a rare set of coils.

Rob

My Watchbox

If the coils conduct but don't work, it's super easy to swap the electronics (all in one piece) from an open coil by desoldering at the two posts. Then put the grounding screw in to hold everything lined up and resolder.

My Watchbox

Thanks guys.

I thought I'd heard of oddly colored coils before, these are definitely more of a goldish, slightly green color. Fortunately both assemblies work great (I wasn't so keen on having mismatched coils on my new woodie).

Thanks Chris - that makes a lot of sense. I purchased a soldering iron with a super thin tip. My next project will be replacing worn components in 218 and 214 component/cell assemblies I have.

My Watchbox

Somewhat unrelated - do you guys re-varnish old coils when servicing? I've been debating whether or not that is a good idea.

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by Dillworth View Post
    Somewhat unrelated - do you guys re-varnish old coils when servicing? I've been debating whether or not that is a good idea.
    I don't re-varnish coils except in special cases where the old coating is deteriorating. You would only see that on very early 214 coils, definitely never on 218's. The coating they used on later 214's and then on 218's is very durable and does not need to be touched. Especially don't use any lacquers such as nail varnish as it is usually nitrocellulose lacquer and it does begin to deteriorate after just a few years.

Rob

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I don't re-varnish coils except in special cases where the old coating is deteriorating. You would only see that on very early 214 coils, definitely never on 218's. The coating they used on later 214's and then on 218's is very durable and does not need to be touched. Especially don't use any lacquers such as nail varnish as it is usually nitrocellulose lacquer and it does begin to deteriorate after just a few years.

Rob
    Thanks Rob!

Thread Information