Recent purchase - stainless/blue combo

Winner of the Bulova-Accutron-Caravelle Masthead Contest
AWF_01_1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Recent purchase - stainless/blue combo

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

I need to drop in here more often. Some new names, and lots of ones I'm familiar with.

I have a weakness for this combination, stainless case and a nice blue dial. I've seen this model before, and I'm pretty certain what I just purchased was the way I recall the others to look like, but if anyone else has this model I'd love some feedback.

The beads of rice style bracelet is likely a generic brand. The piece is in transit and the seller didn't have a better pic so I could identify it. Obviously not correct, but it doesn't look half bad, and may be a decent one for another watch of mine.

Interesting handset, and the second hand at first glance appears to be the one used with the Deep Sea black/red bezel insert model (actually have one so I'll have to compare more closely).

Just realized I haven't verified the case style number to the ABC case parts catalog (to make certain the caseback wasn't swapped), so off I go. I don't see this in the case style number example PDF listing either, as well as Darold Hanson's book of Accutrons.

Any info appreciated. Here's some pics.

Eric
    Last edited by ArchieGoodwin; 07-29-2020 at 08:48 PM.
    Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. ~Louis Hector Berlioz

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Well, all looks well from the case parts catalog. 2180 movement, 1222-1 crystal stainless case.
    Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. ~Louis Hector Berlioz

Stainless Steel Patron Member WTF Junior Member

My Watchbox

Hi Archie - thanks for the excuse to show off my most recent "completed" project! Here it is for comparison...

IMG_20200729_184736-01.jpg

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Very nice, Dillworth. We're local to each other. Someday we'll have to get together and share Accutrons. Here's my similar Deep Sea.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by ArchieGoodwin; 07-29-2020 at 10:35 PM.

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

[QUOTE=ArchieGoodwin;1364429]Well, all looks well from the case parts catalog.
    Very nice, Eric. I have a mint example of the same model. It has the same hands as yours.
    Garry

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Garry, good to hear from you. With your extensive 218 collection, I should've known you would have one 🙂 Thanks for the confirmation, I appreciate it. An unusual piece, this one. Looks like they borrowed the Deep Sea second hand, but the hour and minute hands I don't recall seeing being used elsewhere. I always prefer applied, more substantial hour markers, but I make exceptions, and this one earns it. There's something eye catching about it, to me. I'm hoping it cleans up really well.

Thanks again.

[QUOTE=vim203;1364459]
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieGoodwin View Post
    Very nice, Eric. I have a mint example of the same model. It has the same hands as yours.
    Garry

My Watchbox

I serviced an identical one about a year ago. Quite unusual and very striking looking. Beautiful combo!

Rob

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Nice to hear, Rob, thanks. It's a simple piece, really, and like I said above I'm usually not a fan of printed dials, much preferring more substantial applied hour markers. An exception to that would be railroad approved models, which while printed, I'm a fan of and have seven in my collection. But despite being relatively simple, I like the dial layout. I just enjoy the stainless case with blue dial look. I certainly seem to gravitate towards them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I serviced an identical one about a year ago. Quite unusual and very striking looking. Beautiful combo!

Rob

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

Here’s my contribution to the stainless/blue discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mikeyt_53 likes this.

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Ahh, I should've taken more than one pic, as it didn't come out as focused as I'd liked, plus I missed one. I have the same 2183. I also have a fantastic vintage Caravelle that's stainless/blue, and a modded Seiko diver.
    All of these have various shades of blue dials, and depending upon the angle and light, can be darker or lighter, and vary in vividness. Good stuff.
    Attached Images
    mikeyt_53 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information