Accutron identification

Winner of the Bulova-Accutron-Caravelle Masthead Contest
AWF_01_1

Thread: Accutron identification

My Watchbox

Default Accutron identification

I inherited an accutron watch from my father-in-law but cannot find any information regarding this particular watch. On the face it reads swiss made 27821 and on the reverse it reads, accutron T2, 535552. Photo is shown.accutron.jpg
    thanks for any help.

Super Moderator WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Just looks like a bog standard 1980's or 90's Accutron quartz. There may be a date code (Letter and single number) on the back. The 1980's begin with 'P' and the 1990's begin with 'T'. Ie; P5 = 1985, T3 = 1993
    Last edited by mikeyt_53; 07-22-2020 at 12:42 PM.

My Watchbox

Default Thanks for info

Thanks for the info but what do you mean by bog standard? Also, the back has a T2, does that mean 1992?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyt_53 View Post
    Just looks like a bog standard 1980's or 90's Accutron quartz. There may be a date code (Letter and single number) on the back. The 1980's begin with 'P' and the 1990's begin with 'T'. Ie; P5 = 1985, T3 = 1993

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by IWC NEWBIE View Post
    Thanks for the info but what do you mean by bog standard? Also, the back has a T2, does that mean 1992?
    Bog standard = common. The Accutron quartz watches of that era were completely different than the earlier tuning fork Accutrons and built with run of the mill quartz movements. T2 would mean its from 1992.

My Watchbox

Default Thanks

Thank you for clarifying the year ID and explaining what bog means. I still think it's an interesting watch and one worth keeping aside from its family connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyt_53 View Post
    Bog standard = common. The Accutron quartz watches of that era were completely different than the earlier tuning fork Accutrons and built with run of the mill quartz movements. T2 would mean its from 1992.

My Watchbox

I'm posting another photo to show a better view of the case. I've looked at all the Accutron images I could find on the internet but have never seen another case like this. The movement may be Bog standard but I think the case is unique. What is the general opinion out there.ACCUTRON 2.jpg

My Watchbox

Its different but the styling may not have been to everyone's tastes and as such, it wouldn't have sold well. Dont confuse 'not being able to find the exact same watch on eBay' with something that would be considered 'valuable' or 'collectible'. Bulova made hundreds of different watch cases during that period but unless the case is solid gold then it has minimal to modest value to most collectors. If it was handed down by a family member then wear it in remembrance of that person.

My Watchbox

Thanks for the comments. The case is not gold, maybe a gold plate. I did look at a number of sites in addition to eBay, History of Accutron, etc. I wasn't concerned in whether or not it was valuable only if there were any others out there.

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

I like the watch and it is a nice reminder of the person who originally owned it. What confuses many is that Bulova continued to use the name Accutron long after they discontinued the true tuning fork Accutrons in 1977 so those not familiar with that marketing ploy often think they have a true tuning fork Accutron. Thanks for sharing!

My Watchbox

As soon as lowes corp finished the purchase of bulova in 1979, you see the change in branding. Lots of 1980 or P0 dated watches show the tuning fork emblem on automatic watches. I dont know of any earlier examples except for them using it on bracelets/crowns for some auto/tuning fork snorkel variants.

Thread Information