Astro Working Intermittently

Winner of the Bulova-Accutron-Caravelle Masthead Contest
AWF_01_1

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By watchabit

Thread: Astro Working Intermittently

(Retired Engineer. Pratt Whitney Aircraft)

My Watchbox

Default Astro Working Intermittently

I have an Astro that will run great and keep perfect time for several days then, out of the blue, the hands stop turning. At first I thought it must have been the hack spring adjustment, so I readjusted and after 7 or 8 days it did it again. Each time it stops, the watch is humming away like nothing is wrong. Only thing I can think of now is that it must have a bad index wheel. Any other thoughts?

My Watchbox

It would sure be nice if you could catch it doing that while you could see it under the microscope and on the ammeter. I've seen irregular amplitude (sometimes way too high, sometimes way too low) caused by bogus electronics. It could be humming but with not enough amplitude to index? If amplitude varies for no obvious reason, try replacing resistor/capacitor.

I suppose it could be any kind of mechanical blockage too. Bad sweep pinion washer, not enough end shake somewhere, who knows! Hand clearance? These have so many hands. I've also seen burrs on the outside of the cannon pinion (from pulling it) make the hour wheel stick. Although the sweep hand would probably keep going if that was it.

You're going to have to take it apart again and check each thing. Don't try to find the one problem, that's the wrong mindset -- instead, make sure everything is perfect.

(Retired Engineer. Pratt Whitney Aircraft)

My Watchbox

Thanks Chris. Yes I was focusing on one thing. I have watched this watch for days on end and it runs perfectly fine, then, it will stop. Tapping the side will get it going again. I wish I had let the watch run when the second hand was not turning to see if the minute and hour hands still turned but I didn't do that. Probably best to just disassemble the entire watch and go from there. Thanks again.

My Watchbox

Check that set stem length and back gasket too. They can be fiddly...
    Time2Fish likes this.

Thread Information