AWF_01_1

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Dillworth
  • 4 Post By Rob B

Thread: 218 center second brake spring

Stainless Steel Patron Member WTF Junior Member

My Watchbox

Default 218 center second brake spring

I've recently started working on 218s, and have found the center seconds brake springs can be little too "springy," such that they move the third wheel into such a position that makes it difficult/impossible to replace the train bridge (second wheel is pushed way too high and rests at an odd angle).

I've manually taken some of the bend out of the spring to correct things, and the few movements where I've done this appear to be working fine. Are there any adverse performance effects long-term by doing this?

-Dill
    Mystic Nerd likes this.

My Watchbox

That's the wrong thing to do, to change the tension on the brake spring. It need to have the correct tension or you will have trouble. What you have to do when assembling the train is assemble the keyless work first, Then push the crown IN. Then place the 3rd wheel (sweep second wheel in, and while holding it down against the spring, pull the crown out. The hack will then hold the wheel down and you can go ahead and assemble the train. Once the train bridge has been placed on top, then push the crown back in the release the wheel. You can then move all the pivots back in place and tighten the bridge screws.

Regards, Rob

Stainless Steel Patron Member WTF Junior Member

My Watchbox

I did not think to approach it that way, but it makes a lot of sense. Thanks Bob.

My Watchbox

Wow, that info was very generous of you Rob, many thanks. Do you find that with this method, aligning the other pivots can be accomplished solely by tapping the side of the movement?

Thread Information