Well that was a little pricey 14 K White gold Spaceview.

Winner of the Bulova-Accutron-Caravelle Masthead Contest
AWF_01_1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Well that was a little pricey 14 K White gold Spaceview.

My Watchbox

Default Well that was a little pricey 14 K White gold Spaceview.

watchabit and rollerberg2000 like this.

Moderator WTF Full Member rollerberg2000's Avatar

My Watchbox

I saw that too. It lost my interest when it got over 400.

Goodwill used to be our little secret. Now the word is out.

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Shill bidder? Won't be surprised to see it back up for auction....unless the winner was really that stupid.

My Watchbox

Gents, I recently met this gent via facebook messenger. I sold him a spare crystal as I advertised it to whomever won the auction. A nice gent who really wanted this particular watch. Keep in mind that people buy accutrons from dealers for large price tags like this pretty often, so I wouldn't go so far as to call them stupid. I thought it sold for $900, so that is a lot higher than I expected. I hope that he wasn't shill bidded up to that amount...
    Mystic Nerd likes this.

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Well if he's willing to pay that kind of money for what should have been $900.00 at most according to your guess, I hope you got close to that for your crystal...

(~Commercial Airline Mechanic "Retired"~)

My Watchbox

That nice white Gold case 2313 Spaceview is certainly worthy of restoration BUT....... Even though the 'Nice" gent that really wanted that particular watch certainly has very limited in-depth knowledge of that early production Accutron watch value, cost of restoration, and somewhat incorrect configuration of that watch. Again, it is certainly a gem to be had at the right price but even I know that selling price is so far off its value I would only think a 'newbie or an impulse buyer would venture into that kind of price range. Even those of us that have paid good coin for a few Accutrons in our past collecting ventures would certainly not pay that price for that watch in need of so much repair. Even a vintage fully and correctly restored version would be hard to command that price. There is no logical explanation for that kind of price unless you had a buyer that was swimming in cash with no regard to the actual value. That's just my observation. Even a dozen or more of my fully and correctly restored Gold Accutrons would be hard to sell at that price. But I have seen many other watches sell for crazy prices with people unknowing what they are doing. Just to throw our my value range I would be in the $650-850 range at best.

My Watchbox

SM2, I 100% agree on the value proposition. In fact, my watch that I lazily did not restore sold for around $700 or so and a gold scrapper ended up with it sadly. I still made money on the watch, but I was mad and probably should have set a higher BIN to avoid scrappers. I had a long discussion with the buyer on other topics, and I would just say there is a lot more to the story. For folks reading this though, I do think they need to do their due diligence, but there will always be those who don't care about the price and just want something. I have impulse bought some watches and lost money on them. Vintage watch collecting is like most hobbies that you will pay a noob tax if you don't research and get guidance.

(~Commercial Airline Mechanic "Retired"~)

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by uscjake87 View Post
    In fact, my watch that I lazily did not restore sold for around $700 or so and a gold scrapper ended up with it sadly. I still made money on the watch, but I was mad and probably should have set a higher BIN to avoid scrappers.
    Oh Jake. That was painful to read. Not something we want to see. These cases are so hard to come buy. All the more reason to make Wise purchases.
    Rob B and Hawk53 like this.

My Watchbox

Word to the wise on ebay: dont set a low start bid. Do gold value plus 10 percent. Gold value rose a lot since I paid around $450 for mine. I figured it was around $600 gold. I found out it was a scrapper when i saw the movement sold a few weeks later. I messaged the guy and kinda laid into him. He claimed he also collects accutrons, but if he did he would know the hands were rare. I asked him how he made any money on the gold. I think he speculates on both gold and movement value.
    Mystic Nerd likes this.

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by uscjake87 View Post
    Word to the wise on ebay: dont set a low start bid. Do gold value plus 10 percent. Gold value rose a lot since I paid around $450 for mine. I figured it was around $600 gold. I found out it was a scrapper when i saw the movement sold a few weeks later. I messaged the guy and kinda laid into him. He claimed he also collects accutrons, but if he did he would know the hands were rare. I asked him how he made any money on the gold. I think he speculates on both gold and movement value.
    Makes you kinda ashamed that the value of the whole piece is less than the value of the parts. What a time and place to be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information