UFO Spaceview - Page 2

Winner of the Bulova-Accutron-Caravelle Masthead Contest
AWF_01_1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: UFO Spaceview

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by Stu3 View Post
    This is what I call the UFO case. Because it sort of looks like a UFO. Not to be confused with the Flying Saucer case.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ci...nt-introducing

Scroll down and see the pic of that spaceview. What is the correct case number?
    Thanks for posting that article. That is a beautiful picture of a 3353 case in the article. The gold plated version of the case is 3418. See my prior post for a picture and case numbers. I can confirm case numbers are noted on the inside backs. The 3353 case is also shown in the case reference sticky on this site.

Two things on the picture in the article. The p. plate is gold colored in a stainless steel case. That seems very strange and I really wonder if there is a mis-match there. My gold plated 3418 does have a gold colored p. plate. On the other hand, I see that the crystal in the photo does not match the one I have on my 3353 which is different from the 3418. I have always wondered if the crystal on the 3353 is correct. Probably not after seeing this photo. You see them listed for sale with differing crystals - sometimes not stamped at all.
    Last edited by skd#214#; 06-29-2020 at 10:21 AM. Reason: corrected crystal comment

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by skd#214# View Post
    I think you are talking about these cases?

Attachment 213095

The one on the bottom is S/S and case #3353. The one on the top is gold plated and case #3418. The 3418 is original, purchased new from jeweler by me. The 3353 has a suspect crystal (still nice) and I now have the correct second hand on it (after this photo was taken).

Both are dated 1974. I don't think they were made in the 60's but maybe someone else will have actual production dates.
    Hmmmm... Your two (very nice) examples look different than the one in the Hodinkee article. The Hodinkee one has cutouts in the case where the strap connects.

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

I tried to save the pic from the Hodinkee articles but for some reason, I cannot make it work with the file format.

My Watchbox

Hmmmm... Your two (very nice) examples look different than the one in the Hodinkee article. The Hodinkee one has cutouts in the case where the strap connects.
    Yes. Mine are the same. Just hard to see given the lower res and lighting/shadows in the photo. Here is a slightly better picture of the 3418.
    unnamed.jpg

It is kind of a different looking case because the end of the straps are hidden under the round/oval part of the case. These are also a little bigger than other round spaceviews with an effective diameter of about 38mm in width and a tad longer in width.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by skd#214#; 06-29-2020 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Better photo. Cannot delete the old one though

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

SKD214: Thx for the extra effort on the pics. Yes.... that is indeed what I call a UFO Spaceview! That orange second hand makes me giddy.

My Watchbox

SKD214: Thx for the extra effort on the pics. Yes.... that is indeed what I call a UFO Spaceview! That orange second hand makes me giddy.
    Glad to post the pics. Wish I was better at taking watch photos and posting. There are some real experts here.

This watch has a lot of history for me. It was the first "nice" watch I ever bought. An older person I knew at the time had a round case spaceview that I always admired but by the 70's those had sold out of the jewelry stores. Quartz was the big thing. This was the last spaceview the jeweler even had in stock (and I bought it in 1978). When I asked for one he said he thought he still had one and spent about 10 minutes in the back before he brought this one out. I've kept it all these years, wore it a lot and got many comments over the years about it including a 7 year old absolutely insisting my watch was broken because it did not have a face.

I found the stainless steel match (3353) to it at a small jeweler in Texas in 1996 who had restored it. Love them both and still wear them.
    oliverb likes this.

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

Cool story. I am jelly! I would still like to know the years of production for those cases. Anyone? Paging Rob B to the courtesy phone. Paging Spaceview M2. Paging Jake...

My Watchbox

Cool story. I am jelly! I would still like to know the years of production for those cases. Anyone? Paging Rob B to the courtesy phone. Paging Spaceview M2. Paging Jake...
    I have owned a number of these over the years and still have the SS version as a "project" watch. All of them have been N4 (1974)
    Spaceview M2 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information