Winner of the Bulova-Accutron-Caravelle Masthead Contest
AWF_01_1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: I've Got the Accutron Blues

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

Default I've Got the Accutron Blues

I had some Xmas/Birthday money from my MIL and I always like to buy myself something special with it that I love and that I can say I bought with the money.

I have a Swiss Type 4/Cream and regular Astro, blue dial flying saucer, spaceview/yellow B case, and my black face B case. I love Astros and I found a nice white face one at one of the "known sellers" and it turned into a hot mess (dial flawed) and after 7 weeks of waiting for a redial, I got a refund.

I love 214s but every time I think about getting one, I am always faced with the anxiety of getting stuck with turd or you get one and have to send it for service because you don't know the service history.

There really aren't any new watches that really thrill me and as much as I love 214s, they can be a bit of pain to get the right one and not overpay. Do you guys ever feel like just saying "to hell with it" and moving on? Maybe i should get one of those new Seiko Capt Willard watches.....new...warranty....easy to service...stylish...iconic...waterproof.

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

I prefer the Seiko over any of the Bulova's you mentioned. Too many abortions floating around out there.

My Watchbox

It's too bad you had a bad experience. Accutrons are cheap if you are patient and you have cat like reflexes with the buy it now button. What dealer did you get your white astro from? It sounds like they at least made good on their return to you, so that gives them some credit to their name. For some strange reason there are a few accutron sellers/dealers out there who think they can slap on an extra $1000 and fancy listing descriptions and that suddenly makes a watch more valuable. It's okay to have a higher price tag on a rare watch like the cream swiss, but some of these guys are selling common variants for $1800 when it's realistically worth $800. As with all hobbies, do you research on sold listings so you don't pay the noob tax. I enjoy trading with other guys here on the forums and other private party sales. Lately I decided to just sell off a ton of my watches and down size to a few special ones. I don't forsee ever stopping collecting, but it's nice to dial in the collection. If I had to go with a modern day watch I would go for a Grand Seiko. The quality to price ratio is excellent, but I can get 20 accutrons for the cost of a basic grand seiko....

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

Gee... I'm bummed that Hawk53 thinks my 214 collection is not that great. My Astro came from Bob Piker. Here is a pic of it. He did offer to redial it for free after I sent it back to him and he did refund me the original price (to his credit) even though it was not part of the original agreement.WhiteAstro.jpg

I can't figure out how to get the image big enough so you can see the flaw near the 2 o'clock but it was pretty obvious and I can't believe he would have sold it in that condition without a clear photo of it or disclosing it to a buyer.
    Last edited by Stu3; 06-15-2020 at 07:23 PM.

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Gee... I'm bummed that Hawk53 thinks my 214 collection is not that great.

I've got nothing against your collection Stu, I'm just sort of wary about most Accutrons that are floating around out there. I'm also not too hot on Bulova in general, and I've got way over 500 of them.

My Watchbox

Those dials didn't come in white to my knowledge. It is supposed to be silver. Some silver dials have a different age/patina. Mine has some wear marks around the base of the hands, but it will still turn out nice once it is serviced.

Astronaut-L.jpg

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

Ruh Roh!!! It never occurred to me that it was not a factory dial!!! I could have sworn that I had seen a few white ones over the years. But maybe I mis-remembered and that watch was just some frankenstein model that somebody modded some years ago.

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

The watch is still listed on his website.

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk53 View Post
    I've got nothing against your collection Stu, I'm just sort of wary about most Accutrons that are floating around out there. I'm also not too hot on Bulova in general, and I've got way over 500 of them.
    For someone who’s not to hot on a particular brand, 500 seems extreme.
    I started with Bulova and have been gradually getting into Accutron, but not without research. I’ve got a limited collection, and any watch I buy I know will need service. So my Deep Sea A, Deep Sea AB, linen dial 218, Spaceview T, RR 218-0, and a few others have and will all be serviced. I’d like to e sure that they work to spec, and have collected a handful of service providers to do said refurbishment. So whatever I buy, I know it’s at least US$150 more to have it work. But caveat emptor.
    Mystic Nerd likes this.

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

Then that dial is NOT an original and it was modded at some point in time. It is/was pretty and I like/liked it. It is just too bad that it had a huge flaw on it. Had the dial been good, I would have kept it. I like white faced/polar dials (Rolex Explorer anyone?) and if something is not totally OEM, I don't mind. I have a Devil Diver red-tipped second hand on my Astro and like it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information