Winner of the Bulova-Accutron-Caravelle Masthead Contest
AWF_01_1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Strap for 17.5 mm strap lugs

WTF Junior Member

My Watchbox

Default Strap for 17.5 mm strap lugs

I have a Bulova with 17.5 mm lugs, and no strap. I think I’ve had that situation before - and if I recall, an 18 mm leather strap worked. But it was a while ago, and I don’t remember it clearly.

Have others here used the same solution? I’m sure I could have a 17.5 mm strap made but that’s not in the budget now.

My Watchbox

Yes18 fits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mystic Nerd likes this.

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

while hard to find, the band size is actually 11/16"
    Last edited by hifisapi; 06-04-2020 at 03:22 AM.
    Mystic Nerd likes this.

Super Moderator WTF Veteran CometHunter's Avatar
    (I'm having a good day. Don't screw it up!)

My Watchbox

WTF's Scott Alison at Timesofplenty (https://www.ebay.com/str/timesofplen...cat=1530614219) carries many hard-to-find sizes, including 11/16".
    Mystic Nerd likes this.
    -Bill

WTF Administration Team
    The Hamilton Forum
    The Beginner's Watch Forum
    The *Original* Invicta Forum

My Watchbox

I love timesofplenty's page. I haven't seen any other ebay seller with the quality/variety he has in vintage bands.
    CometHunter and Mystic Nerd like this.

WTF Junior Member

My Watchbox

Default Strap for 17.5 mm strap lugs

Thanks, all.
    While I await the return of this watch from the spa, I now have two straps prepared for it.
    International shipping has been delayed due to Covid-19; I hope to see it back here in the second half of July.

One strap is a DeBeer snake grain, black, 18 mm. It probably can be squeezed in to fit the 17.45 mm lugs.
    The other is a stainless wire mesh, also 18 mm. I plan to file it down to fit. It's not fine enough to be a true Milanese, but not heavy enough for a shark mesh. Should be nice with this watch.

(Sorry I haven't been able to get this to appear right side up - it's correct in my files but not here on the ABC forum.)
    6733 case 2.jpg
    Last edited by Mystic Nerd; 06-27-2020 at 11:33 AM.
    oliverb, Hawk53, Stu3 and 1 others like this.

Moderator WTF Full Member rollerberg2000's Avatar

My Watchbox

I have to ask.....hoping you have more information than I've been able to get!

How did you arrive at the second half of July for a return from the spa? I've had some languishing at the PO since March. I've even gone to the PO here asking how I can shake it loose from over there, and they just shake their heads.....

My Watchbox

Nerd, wouldn't you love to run across the factory bulova bracelet with matching endlinks for this case! That would be cool. Actually Idk if there was one for this case but I highly suspect there was. I'd think a regular steel bracelet would need to have straight tubular ends? Like a Forstner?

WTF Junior Member

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by watchabit View Post
    Nerd, wouldn't you love to run across the factory bulova bracelet with matching endlinks for this case! That would be cool. Actually Idk if there was one for this case but I highly suspect there was. I'd think a regular steel bracelet would need to have straight tubular ends? Like a Forstner?
    I was able to find this model on MyBulova[dot]com; it is a Commander AO. The Commander AQ is the same case in smooth gold plated. The site shows vintage ads for the watch; the bracelet is a late '60s segmented style, and with curved ends. Now that I look at the drawing, I wonder if I might need curved spring bars. And of course if curved is needed, I doubt the fairly conventional mesh strap I got will work. The leather one might, if the pin passage has enough extra room to accommodate curved spring bars.

Yes indeed I'd love to have an original bracelet for it. However I suspect it would be outside my budget. TimesOfPlenty https://www.ebay.com/str/timesofplen...cat=1530614219 does indeed have a couple bracelets in that size with curved ends. Not Bulova branded but NOS and reasonably priced.

ADM_Commander_AO.jpg
    Last edited by Mystic Nerd; 06-28-2020 at 07:35 AM.

WTF Junior Member

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by rollerberg2000 View Post
    I have to ask.....hoping you have more information than I've been able to get!

How did you arrive at the second half of July for a return from the spa? I've had some languishing at the PO since March. I've even gone to the PO here asking how I can shake it loose from over there, and they just shake their heads.....
    If yours hasn't yet arrived at The Spa, I suspect it's caught up in the local lockdown (Thailand, correct?). If so, see my note below about lifting that lockdown and estimate from there.

I sent mine via USPS, registered. Mailed on Mar. 18. Tracking stopped at a USPS facility near JFK airport, a week after shipment. I heard nothing further, until it cleared Thai customs 50+ days after I sent it out. Then Rob had it within just a couple days or so.

In early June, Rob indicated shipping out my package in a few weeks. I don't remember his exact words right now. I'm pretty sure he mentioned the local lockdown.
    I googled for Thailand Lockdown, and learned it's to be lifted at the end of June. I suggested to Rob that he could hold off a bit once the lockdown is lifted, based on my expectation of a flood of mail and packages inundating their postal system at that point. So... estimating a couple weeks for actual transit, I came up with an estimate of some time in the second half of July. YMMV of course. Especially if Rob hasn't yet received your package.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information