Vibrograf vs Actual Time Variations
 
Winner of the Bulova-Accutron-Caravelle Masthead Contest
AWF_01_1

Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chris Radek

Thread: Vibrograf vs Actual Time Variations

  1. #1
    WTF Veteran Time2Fish's Avatar
    (Retired Engineer. Pratt Whitney Aircraft)

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    721

    My Watchbox

    Default Vibrograf vs Actual Time Variations

    I have a watch that I serviced about a month ago and it is running except that it is running about 4 seconds fast per day while sitting on my desk. That is easily regulated out, however, my vibrograf M80 is telling me that the watch should be running 3.0 seconds slow, which is more where I would like the watch to be running. If you assume that the M80 is correct, which I believe it is, and everything is aligned properly and running at the correct amps, would I be right thinking I might have a problem with a dirty index wheel?

  2. #2
    WTF Full Member Chris Radek's Avatar


    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    341

    My Watchbox

    Default

    Yes, I think the wheel is probably dirty or bad.

  3. #3
    WTF Veteran Time2Fish's Avatar
    (Retired Engineer. Pratt Whitney Aircraft)

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    721

    My Watchbox

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Radek View Post
    Yes, I think the wheel is probably dirty or bad.
    Cleaning the index wheel is one of the hardest things to do on a 214 movement with "hobby" type equipment. I typically clean the index wheels for 6 minutes, and rinse 2 times @ 6 minutes per cycle and they still come out with dirt/grease packed at the root of the teeth. Going to have to change my procedure. Thanks, Chris.

  4. #4
    WTF Full Member Chris Radek's Avatar


    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    341

    My Watchbox

    Default

    Sounds like your ultrasonic might not really be cavitating. Do you see lots of little bubbles? Does it spray the fluid up into the air? Both of mine make a mess if there's no lid, especially the vintage L&R one, it's very powerful.

  5. #5
    WTF Veteran Time2Fish's Avatar
    (Retired Engineer. Pratt Whitney Aircraft)

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    721

    My Watchbox

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Radek View Post
    Sounds like your ultrasonic might not really be cavitating. Do you see lots of little bubbles? Does it spray the fluid up into the air? Both of mine make a mess if there's no lid, especially the vintage L&R one, it's very powerful.
    I don't see spray because the jars I use have screw on lids. I do see cleaning fluid in the water I immerse the jars into because the lids do not seal perfectly. I can see that the cleaning fluid is agitated. The ultrasonic cleaner I am using is over 100 watts so I believe it should be good. The hobbiest approach to cleaning may not be the best idea. I think I am transferring too much fluid from jar to jar causing cross contamination. I have been keeping an eye on ebay for a used Watchmaster that I could purchase but nothing has come up that fits my budget. Sooner or later I will find one. Thanks

  6. #6
    New Member


    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    13

    My Watchbox

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Time2Fish View Post
    I have a watch that I serviced about a month ago and it is running except that it is running about 4 seconds fast per day while sitting on my desk. That is easily regulated out, however, my vibrograf M80 is telling me that the watch should be running 3.0 seconds slow, which is more where I would like the watch to be running.
    Purely as a side question, why do you prefer your watches to run slow rather than fast? I always prefer mine adjusted slightly to gain time, so that I'm not likely to be deceived into thinking I have more time than I really do (for instance to catch a train). Or do you prefer to have it run slow, while sitting on the table, with the idea that it will run about right on the wrist? I think my preference for pocket watches, & my habit of hanging them up when not in use, reduces the amount of variation from that source.

  7. #7
    WTF Full Member Chris Radek's Avatar


    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    341

    My Watchbox

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delos Harriman View Post
    Or do you prefer to have it run slow, while sitting on the table, with the idea that it will run about right on the wrist?
    This is it exactly. An Accutron has about 8 s/d between tines up and down, and when being worn they are tines down a lot and tines up never. So we regulate them -1.5 to -2 dial up (flat).
    Time2Fish likes this.

  8. #8
    New Member


    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Swansea, UK
    Posts
    26

    My Watchbox

    Default

    Hmm

    Filed forks can be fun, set on M80 to -1 sec, in reality runs -14 sec/day...

    Filed forks are more common than you think.... Had two in a row....
    M80 detects/compares frequency to internal source, so long as its a certain multiple of that internal freq. then it'll display say -1 sec as error. Thats how it can set 440Hz 300Hz 360Hz watches....
    So a 214 fork badly filed can be humming at say 300Hz and set upon M80 perfect to -1sec, but run horribly slow in real life....

    Use Naptha to clean index wheels in bottle in ultrasonic.
    Last edited by accutron214service; 06-14-2020 at 06:05 PM.

  9. #9
    WTF Veteran Time2Fish's Avatar
    (Retired Engineer. Pratt Whitney Aircraft)

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    721

    My Watchbox

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by accutron214service View Post
    Hmm

    Filed forks can be fun, set on M80 to -1 sec, in reality runs -14 sec/day...

    Filed forks are more common than you think.... Had two in a row....
    M80 detects/compares frequency to internal source, so long as its a certain multiple of that internal freq. then it'll display say -1 sec as error. Thats how it can set 440Hz 300Hz 360Hz watches....
    So a 214 fork badly filed can be humming at say 300Hz and set upon M80 perfect to -1sec, but run horribly slow in real life....

    Use Naptha to clean index wheels in bottle in ultrasonic.
    Excuse me for my lack of understanding but what is a filed fork?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

ShowCase, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.