• 3 Post By uscjake87
  • 2 Post By uscjake87
  • 2 Post By uscjake87
  • 4 Post By uscjake87
  • 1 Post By uscjake87

Thread: Found: General Omar Bradley 5 Star Accutron

My Watchbox

Default Found: General Omar Bradley 5 Star Accutron

I present to you one of Omar Bradley's gift Accutrons that he would give out to very few people during his tenure at Bulova. The museum worked with Hodinkee to write the article and they said they believe less than 12 were given out. I exchanged emails with mr. carl rosen, the museum curator for Bulova and he said, "We do not have records of to whom the watches were given. We suspect it happened about a dozen times." Based on my personal research, and some pictures/info provided by Mr. Rosen, there are 6 known watches including mine. Here is a bit of breakdown of those 6 watches with a serial/date order as best as possible:

Watchlords - 1965 - D89625 - 18K Solid Gold - No engraving, given to him directly off Bradley's wrist.

Mybulova - 1967 - B60939 - 14KGF "T.F.E" - Grandpa CEO of mattress company

Hodinkee - 1969 F68063 - 14KGF "A.W.P" - Serial and date stamp is blurry. Some think it says "N9" but I think it's a bad picture or the gold fill wearing down to make it unreadable.

Mine - 1969 - F71956 - 14KGF "H.S"

Museum - 1969 - G62262 - 14KGF - "L.E.C"

Museum - 1969 - G63646 - 14KGF - "I.P."

20200327_134223.jpg
    20200327_134258.jpg
    20200327_134458.jpg
    20200327_134551.jpg
    20200327_134816.jpg
    Last edited by uscjake87; 05-03-2020 at 07:57 AM.

My Watchbox

I am now going to re-post the pictures of the watches in this thread so we can see all the images of the dials/serials in one place and for archive purposes since image hosts seem to go down. Watchlords:

08BA2F2E-65BF-4C5D-A058-3C14C3ECC530.jpg
    0AA338CB-77DC-4003-9B29-5F3681DFA157.jpg
    Rob B, srgray and arquitron like this.

My Watchbox
    Rob B, srgray and arquitron like this.

My Watchbox

Pics supplied by Mr. Rosen. One of the watches is on display in the museum and the other was an ebay bought watch that somebody sent him a picture of. I assume the dial is of the museum watch.

unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    Rob B and srgray like this.

My Watchbox

A few of the MyBulova group have posited that the Hodinkee watch is a "fake". The stars are placed farther apart. While they are spaced differently, I'm not sure I would say it's a fake. They also claim that the watch is an N9 (after Bradley left) based on the photo. I don't agree with the date issue though, I pointed out that it is likely an M9 and apoor angle. I have never seen an N9 218. Also, the serial number seems to fall into the same range as yours Jake

My Watchbox

Yeah, I decided to repost all the pictures here so people can draw their own conclusions. I can understand how they would look at that hodinkee dial and assume it's a fake. I'm curious if Bulova did these dial's in house or farmed it out. I think they took normal dials and casebacks to a local company for customization. It is entirely possible the people responsible for the 5 star dials messed up the design on the watch especially if it wasn't a routine thing. Perhaps they used various dial companies since a lot more were around in those days and one company screwed up the design. The engravings all have the same distinct script, so I dont think the Hodinkee watch is a fake or re-dial. Another thing somebody noted was gold painting inside the stars being sloppy as a reason the hodinkee watch is a redial. My watch has the same thing where the paint creeps around the black outline of the star which you can see in my zoomed in picture (crystal is scratched though, so perhaps that distorts the image).

I doubt that Bradley had a lot of them created as the personalized engravings on them make it clear they were special gifts. Having served, I how Generals and senior military leaders are. They were either stingy and didn't give out challenge coins or they gave them out all the time. Some had bags of their coins on standby. some only had a few in their pockets or with their aide de camp. Based on Mr. Rosen's comments of approximately 12 watches, I speculate that Bradley didn't give out a lot of tokens unless they were very deserving. The watchlords story is a great example of an encounter with someone who wasn't famous or important, where Bradley had a big heart for veterans. The other story on mybulova is equally interesting where it was a combat veteran who became a CEO of a mattress company. If he gave them out in large numbers I suspect you would see a lot more trade hands in the collectors world or get noted by the museum.
    CometHunter and srgray like this.

My Watchbox

An update:

A fellow collector pointed out that the Emperor of Ethiopia, His Imperial Majesty (H.I.M) Haile Selassie met General Bradley in 1963 during a state visit along with visits to New York and was quoted as saying he enjoyed meeting Bradley. He was scheduled to go tour NASA, but weather issues prevented the visit. These details come from a book titled, "The Lion of Judah in the New World: Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia" and the pages about Bradley just happen to be viewable with the google books site that hosts it. In July 1969 Selassie came back to the USA for another state visit. After visiting the white house and having a fancy dinner, he went to the Apollo 11 pre-launch events and met various astronauts like Gordon Cooper. It is likely at this event where he was presented the watch or perhaps it was mailed to him. I do think it solves the mystery of who the initials "H.S." are on my watch, but photos or a news article would be great to help solidify the provenance. I was able to get the white house dinner's guest list and am having Mr. Rosen take a look at the attendees, but I doubt any were from Bulova. The best anecdotal evidence would be a copy of NASA's VIP guest list and VIP logs for the month of July 1969. If anybody has suggestions for research, perhaps even filing a FOIA, let me know.

As far as Selassie goes, he is a very interesting person. A lot comes up that goes well beyond his duties being the leader of Ethiopia and his link to rastafarian culture.

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

That’s phenomenal! Didn’t he have a couple Rolex Estrella type watches? I’m really impressed with this bit of research, well done Jake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Watchbox

A photo of Selassie with Gordon Cooper circa July 1969:

Di0xyaOXoAAzn65.jpg

Command Center Tour:

104283401_3225537057506586_3769021094748674600_n.jpg

Short video
    Last edited by uscjake87; 06-20-2020 at 08:40 AM.
    ArchieGoodwin likes this.

Thread Information