Help with the watch's history
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mikeyt_53

Thread: Help with the watch's history

My Watchbox

Default Help with the watch's history

Hi all,

I got this watch a couple of years ago but I don't know it's history at all. When I took pictures to post here, I realized that it is Schaffhausen (with my eyes, even with my reading glasses, I couldn't read its mark ).

Please tell me where I should look at to find out what model this is and when this watch was made. The cover behind the watch shows neither marks nor number.

Thank you for your advice in advance.
    Attached Images

Super Moderator WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

From those photos its very difficult to identify anything. Many watch brands can be dated (usually down to +/- one year) via the serial number on the watch movement itself and an IWC Schaffhausen is no exception. Once you remove the case back, check your serial number against this site for a year of manufacture. You can also start searching places like Chrono 24 or eBay for similar watches that will at least give you the model name and approximate years of manufacture. Your other option is sending an email to IWC c/w good clear close up photos of the dial / case back / inside case back and movement and requesting a history on the watch. Be advised though that it can be pricey to do this.
    Last edited by mikeyt_53; 04-09-2020 at 10:19 AM.

My Watchbox

Mikeyt_53, thank you. I checked the production year. It was produced in 1950 and has CAL 89. What I failed to understand was that the case has a serial number different from the watch movement. Does it mean that it is a counterfeit? That explains why it was not so expensive.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchTalkForums.info
    Advertisements

My Watchbox

I'm not prepared to suggest that the watch is a counterfeit on that basis or from the 2 photos you supplied. All i can suggest is that you enter your IWC serial number here on the IWC site and see what comes of it.

What i can say is that it is not unusual for a watch to have a case serial# and a movement serial# that are different.

You can also compare your movement to the authentic caliber 89 shown here on the Ranfft site.
    Last edited by mikeyt_53; 04-14-2020 at 10:40 AM.

My Watchbox

Thank you mikeyt_53 again.

I took more detailed pictures of the watch. I am a bit worried: as far as I understood from the serial number, it should be made in 1950. Yet it shows no sign of wear at all as you see in the photos. It is very weird, I must say, as it is allegedly made of 18K gold (so says the back cover). The watch movement seems genuine but I am an amateur. I thought I saw somewhere on the movement identifying it as Cal 89 but it seems I was mistaking. I don't know how I got this idea. Probably I was wishing so hard that it would be a genuine Schaffhausen. Schaffhausen Movement.jpgSchaffhausen dial.jpgSchaffhausen cover.jpgSchaffhausen side.jpgSchaffhausen crone.jpg

My Watchbox

I cant read the serial# from your watch movement but note that it will be different that the ser# on the case back. Its the movement serial# that is needed for IWC checking. It may be a legitimate IWC but it would be better if IWC confirms that from the movement serial#/
    Last edited by mikeyt_53; 04-22-2020 at 11:00 AM.

My Watchbox

It reads 1251104. The case serial number is 1252404, similar but not really. I will ask IWC for more information. Thanks!

My Watchbox

I wrote to IWC. They told me that if wanted my watch to be verified, it would cost 300 CHF. You were right, it is very pricy. It is even more than what I paid for my watch. I will keep my fantasy and money. Thank you for your help.

My Watchbox

I think you may have answered your own question about legitimacy when you indicated you paid less than 300 CHF for an IWC watch.
    Amarutu60 likes this.

Thread Information