The Accutron 214B - The 50th Anniversay LE Spaceview by Citizen. Part I

Winner of the Bulova-Accutron-Caravelle Masthead Contest
AWF_01_1

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By Rob B

Thread: The Accutron 214B - The 50th Anniversay LE Spaceview by Citizen. Part I

My Watchbox

Default The Accutron 214B - The 50th Anniversay LE Spaceview by Citizen. Part I

214b-1.jpg

I have long been curious as to how good this limited edition 214 really was, and whether or not they used old Bulova NOS parts or actually re-made everything. Also, I wanted to know how closely they match a real 214. Well, my questions were answered recently when I got one in for service. Since they only made 1000 of these, they are thin on the ground so I was surprised to get one for repair. So, for those who haven't seen one of these before, I can now give you an opinion of this caliber movement.

214b-2.jpg

214b-3.jpg

The case is clearly styled after the Accutron Alpha. The case itself is a massive chunk of stainless steel, and beautifully finished. The first thing one notices it the size and weight of the watch. It is 42mmm wide, 50.5mm across the lugs and 15.5mm thick. The lugs are 22mm, which are in good proportion to the case size, so pics of the watch might give the impression it is smaller than it really is. The back being assymetrical, is secured by 4 screws. Removing the back we can see the back seal is an O ring. The movement sits in the case snugly and is held in place by the ground strap. We can also see the very nice perlage finish on the inside if the case back and case, there for decoration and adds nicely to the overall effect of a high quality case. The crystal is sapphire, by the way, as probably would be expected on a watch of this price level.

214b-4.jpg

Continue to Part II....

My Watchbox

Wow, I've been waiting for this. I've often wondered if there are any parts that are not interchangeable with a 214, and if said parts are available. I would def need to know what they are. So far in your pics it looks very much like a 214. I only had the back off mine to remove the battery. The jeweler I got it from left his mark off one of the screw holes when it was new It's very light but the polish on this case is extra fine and even he was afraid to buff it.

Thank you Rob for documenting this
    Last edited by watchabit; 04-01-2020 at 07:46 AM.

Thread Information