My Father's Wyler Watch - would like help with information & restoration
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JRS

Thread: My Father's Wyler Watch - would like help with information & restoration

JRS

My Watchbox

Default My Father's Wyler Watch - would like help with information & restoration

I am new to this forum and would appreciate any help you could give me. I would like information about the watch and recommended companies or individuals for a restoration.

The watch in the photos belonged to my father. It has a case diameter of 30 mm. I found the watch among insignia, medals and ribbons from his service in the U. S. Army. Because of where I found the watch and the watch itself (waterproof, shock-resistant, luminous hands, plastic crystal, simply his identification on the back), this may be a watch he wore while on active duty in WWII.

As a family piece having sentimental value, I am interested in knowing more about the watch (I have not been able to find anything on the internet) and looking into restoration as it would make a meaningful gift to my grandson. Concerning restoration, I live in the Chicago area but would be willing to send it out of the area to a company or individual who could do the work. By the way, it still runs!

In advance, thank you!

IMG_6570.jpgIMG_6573.jpg

Super Moderator WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

First off welcome to the forum. As for the watch, a simple Google search revealed quite a bit of information about the Wyler Watch Company and its history. Wyler has been in existence since 1924 in one form or another and i believe the name is currently owned by 'Wyler Geneve'. They did have some innovations (ie the flexible balance) with their early watches but were never a big player in the watch world and today have a small following. Your watch in question does appear to be a late 1930's or very early 1940's issue Wyler but without seeing a photo of the movement I'm not certain but it is likely an ETA sourced movement. Note that while Wyler did make some of their own movements, most were simply bought from other suppliers and then modified by Wyler. I can tell you that it was not a 'military issue' watch though but it is possible that he wore it during the war years as they had a reputation for being fairly 'robust' watches.

As for repair facilities in the Chicago area, again i would refer you to Google and suggest you look for a vendor who specializes in repair work (ie not one of those mall kiosks or some 'jewelry store' that also 'sells & services' watches) preferably on vintage mechanical watches.
    Last edited by mikeyt_53; 03-29-2020 at 05:28 PM.

JRS

My Watchbox

Thank you, mikeyt_53. Your dating of the watch does match up with his active duty service from 1940 to 1944 or 1945. I speculate it may have been a graduation gift from family. He was in Carnegie Tech's ROTC program. So, upon graduation in 1940 he would be serving on active duty and a 'robust' watch would be appropriate.

Again, thank you. If some further thoughts or information come to mind, I would appreciate learning of them.
    mikeyt_53 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchTalkForums.info
    Advertisements

Super Moderator WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

If you find out anything more about the watch or can post a good clear photo of the movement and the inside of the case back, we might be able to provide a bit more information.

Thread Information