I want a Seiko but ...................

WINNER OF THE SEIKO WATCH FORUM PHOTO COMPETITION

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By CometHunter
  • 1 Post By SFwatchGuy

Thread: I want a Seiko but ...................

My Watchbox

Default I want a Seiko but ...................

Only an 8T23-8020 model

Anybody own one? if so I would love to see some pictures and real owner experience. I am familiar with Fratello's review on the www but would prefer real owner experience. If you have one or know of one for sale then give me a nudge

Super Moderator WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

I see a few people on other watch forums asking that same question.... and haven't seen anyone respond.

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

Haven't been able to even find a photo of one much less one for sale, even Fleabay shows nothing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchTalkForums.info
    Advertisements

Super Moderator WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Seiko 8T23-8020 as recently sold (with pics) here

My Watchbox

This particular Seiko is certainly proving to be a unicorn. For me I love the cleanliness of the dial and the crown/case design. Would love to add one to the collection but as stated; its proving a little elusive. I guess what doesn't help is that this model was only in production for 1 year (1986) and lets be honest, winding a quartz is ridiculous, to wind it to full charge takes 3 minutes and that is madness. Nonetheless I love the concept of what then became the Kinetic range.

Super Moderator WTF Veteran CometHunter's Avatar
    (I'm having a good day. Don't screw it up!)

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by jakeagusta View Post
    ... and lets be honest, winding a quartz is ridiculous, to wind it to full charge takes 3 minutes and that is madness.
    I don't see where it's more ridiculous than having to keep the wrist in motion so that the rotor generates electricity for the capacitor. I bought a Kinetic when they first came out. The silly thing wouldn't maintain a full charge until I learned it was a good idea to keep the watch constantly moving a la an automatic movement.

(And that winding chore has a simple fix; just stick the crown into the chuck of a cordless drill. You should have that puppy wound up in under 20 seconds!)
    Last edited by CometHunter; 12-29-2019 at 03:22 PM.
    jakeagusta likes this.
    -Bill

WTF Administration Team
    The Hamilton Forum
    The Beginner's Watch Forum
    The *Original* Invicta Forum

Moderator WTF Veteran SFwatchGuy's Avatar

My Watchbox

You will most likely continue to have trouble acquiring this "dream" watch due to production numbers and time since it was produced. If you want a quartz/kinetic watch you can wind, perhaps you should consider a "direct drive" Sportura or Velatura. I know it's not what you desire but it may be as close as you can get while you continue looking.
    CometHunter likes this.

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by SFwatchGuy View Post
    You will most likely continue to have trouble acquiring this "dream" watch due to production numbers.
    Its been a two year search now with contacts looking in Japan and other regions globally not to mention daily/weekly searches etc. I have missed two ironically both from the UK when I happened to be overseas. I am now at the point of getting twitchy haha! as I know they are out there but I want one NOW!!! I think its become more of a challenge now than actually acquiring the watch. So for any Seiko 8T23 models out there, I have this to say 'I will look for you, I will find you, and I will buy you'

Thread Information