Winner of the Bulova-Accutron-Caravelle Masthead Contest
AWF_01_1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Accutron II Quartz?

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

Default Accutron II Quartz?

Anyone have any knowledge/experience with the Accutron II Quartz movement that came
    out around ten years ago. This is the one with the 262 kHz crystal freq. and a sweep
    second hand just like a sixties tuning fork original accutron.
    accutronn II diver 800.jpg
    accutronn II diver 800 -2.jpg
    Last edited by hifisapi; 11-24-2019 at 04:56 AM.

WTF Junior Member

My Watchbox

I have four Accutron II watches. The Precisionist line has a similar movement but I have none of those.

They’ve been discontinued by Bulova, but can be found on eBay, and I think a few are still listed on Amazon.

The movements used in these watches have two noteworthy features: as you noted, smooth second hand, and uncommon accuracy.

Accuracy: they will gain or lose only a few seconds between daylight savings time changeover dates. This is in comparison to a conventional quartz movement, which (in my experience) can gain/lose 5-10 seconds per month. I have some conventional quartz that are better than that, and some that aren’t quite that good.

Sweep second hands: They are very smooth. Slow motion video shows they pulse at 16 beats per second, or 16 Hz. I believe some are 8 Hz, which also is enough to look like a perfectly smooth sweep. The chronographs in this series have a small second hand in a subdial; I have a 262 kHz in this series and it pulses twice per second. With that hand being barely over 1/4 inch long, 2 Hz is smooth enough.

I’ve changed the leather strap on two of the four that I have because I wasn’t happy with the strap. I do like the black link bracelet on my Snorkel which is a twin to the one you showed.

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

I took a chance on this watch because of the two features mentioned and the price. It was
    very reasonably priced at ebay for a change.

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

Great watches! Scary accurate. Had mine for 3 or 4 years and still looks perfect. I don't know what the finish it (PVD?) but it wears like iron and still looks perfect. Easily found for under $200. AccutronLobster.jpg
    uscjake87 likes this.

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

FWIW, I just bought mine $125 plus shipping at ebay BIN.

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by hifisapi View Post
    Anyone have any knowledge/experience with the Accutron II Quartz movement that came
    out around ten years ago. This is the one with the 262 kHz crystal freq. and a sweep
    second hand just like a sixties tuning fork original accutron.
    [ Photo snipped out ]
    [ photo snipped out ]
    I have two, a Precisionist and an Accutron II. The movements inside are essentially the same. Battery change isn't as straightforward as with other quartz watches. The battery covers the entire back of the movement. That said, t's not the arduous process as with the circa 2000 Seiko Perpetual movement that's easily destroyed during battery changes(8F32 and variants). Watch is quite accurate compared to standard quartz, but my experience has had greater variance than others have reported. Probably because I'm not wearing it daily. The movement isn't temperature compensated, so it's designed to be worn and run much of the time at near body skin temperature, about 94F.

Longwood Precisionist:

Accutron II Snorkel:

John
    mikeyt_53 and Magnetchief like this.

Super Moderator WTF Veteran CometHunter's Avatar
    (I'm having a good day. Don't screw it up!)

My Watchbox

My first-generation Longwood wants to say hello!

Bulova Precisionist.JPG
    mikeyt_53 likes this.
    -Bill

WTF Administration Team
    The Hamilton Forum
    The Beginner's Watch Forum
    The *Original* Invicta Forum

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

do you recall offhand what battery number the accutron II takes?

My Watchbox

I recently bought a Bulova 98B219 Accutron II watch. It was going cheap because the crystal is scratched. Does anyone know where to get a suitable replacement crystal for this type of watch? I have watchmakers press and can make dies to fit anything I want in order to remove and fir a new crystal. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

As to cell type, mine takes a Lithium CR2016. These are easily available and cheap. I believe they only last about a year.

Charles
    Last edited by bulova; 12-21-2019 at 04:57 PM.

WTF Junior Member

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by bulova View Post
    As to cell type, mine takes a Lithium CR2016. These are easily available and cheap. I believe they only last about a year.

Charles
    Thank you for the battery number. I understand this represents only the one model but it’s a good data point.

I have three Accutron II watches which I’ve had for over two years. They’re all still running on their original batteries.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information