General Watch Co.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mikeyt_53

Thread: General Watch Co.

My Watchbox

Default General Watch Co.

I've got a watch from the General Watch Co., and I'd just like a little more info on it. It's 15 jewels, 3 adjustments, and has the name "Bella" on the movement.

My Watchbox

Default Marshall

I've got an older Swiss watch and I'm just looking for more information on it. The name Marshall is on the face and the entire watch, face and movement come out of the band and seem to be stuck together, I don't want to pull them apart for fear of breaking something as the watch is in working order, any information is appreciated. Also there is a patent# on the band. "Pat Pend., LICSD.PAT. 1700.489

Super Moderator WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

As for the General Watch , unfortunately the photos you supplied are not clear enough to make out any details on the movement or case. About the best i can offer at this time is that the General Watch Company was founded by Louis Brandt & Fils (Omega) around 1880 in Biel, Switzerland and survived into the early 1930's. It was one of a myriad of small Swiss watch companies that existed during this time period and offered up watches where movements & cases were sourced from other suppliers then put together in General's name. Unless the watch has a solid gold case, it is likely worth very little in today's market. I would put this watch in the early 1920's.
    Last edited by mikeyt_53; 11-23-2019 at 04:06 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchTalkForums.info
    Advertisements

My Watchbox

As for your Marshall watch, i believe it was a subsidiary of Gruen Watch Company in the 1920's. The movement and case back should be relatively easy to separate with a bit of care. Without seeing a good clear photo of the movement along with the inside of the case back its difficult to provide much more information.

My Watchbox

As to the Marshall watch, here are more pictures, this time of the movement and case.

My Watchbox

C&E Marshall Company have always been a significant watch parts / tools etc supplier and i believe they were based in Chicago until they were bought out by the S Larose Co based in North Carolina. Neither company exists but Marshall tools are usually sought after in the collectors market. They did however have a few watches for sale where they sourced movements and cases from watch companies and had the Marshall name branded on them. As such, Marshall was very much a 'bit player' in the 1920's & 1930's watch industry as far as selling watches.

The movement looks familiar to me but I would have to do a bit of searching to figure out who made it. The "Model M-2" shown on the movement was Marshall's model# as I've also seen another Marshall watch with an "E-3" on the movement but both movements appear to be identical.

My Watchbox

So it's a fairly rare watch to be finding???

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by Acemcculloch71 View Post
    So it's a fairly rare watch to be finding???
    "Rare" is probably the most over-used term in horology and 'rare' and the term 'valuable' dont necessarily go together. In this particular case neither watch has much 'value' in today's market as they are not really desired by collectors but both watches are somewhat 'rare' in the sense that not many were made/sold (likely due to lack of demand or desire) and owners considered them mostly disposable when they broke down. IF both watches are working & keeping reasonable time, the mans watch might be worth $75 - $100 on a good day with the right buyer and the ladies watch a bit less unless it has a solid gold case which i dont think it does. Unfortunately you wont get rich from either watch.
    Last edited by mikeyt_53; 11-24-2019 at 12:34 PM.
    Hawk53 likes this.

Thread Information