Mystery cocktail watch
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By trophy1977

Thread: Mystery cocktail watch

My Watchbox

Default Mystery cocktail watch

Hello all,

To be quite honest I am not going to be much of a contributor to the forum due to my lack of knowledge on the subject, however knowledge is what I seek. I've have included some photos of a watch that given to my wife by my mother. The only information I have on this piece is:

It originally came from New York from a wealthy family
    I had the movement serviced today and the watchmaker said it has a ETA 1201 movement (15 jewels)
    It is 18K white gold, strap and case
    The diamonds are of higher quality

I can get some other pictures if needed. I'd just really like to know who made it. I'm not looking for an appraisal, though I am quite interested on the value.

Thank you
    Attached Images
    mikeyt_53 likes this.

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Appears to be a private label watch probably from a jeweler that the family patronized.
    From the style I'd guess late 20's to 30's.

Super Moderator WTF Veteran CometHunter's Avatar
    (I'm having a good day. Don't screw it up!)

My Watchbox

I agree that it's a private label watch. The ETA badge is on the other side of the movement, hidden under the dial.

ETA_1201-1.jpg

It's almost a sure bet that the jeweler bought movements from ETA and installed them in cases he himself crafted. Therefore, the "brand" is the jeweler who actually sold the watch. There is little collector value to the watch, but take it to an actual jeweler for a ballpark appraisal, as those could very well be actual diamonds set in a white gold watch case.
    Last edited by CometHunter; 10-11-2019 at 04:02 AM.
    -Bill

WTF Administration Team
    The Hamilton Forum
    The Beginner's Watch Forum
    The *Original* Invicta Forum

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchTalkForums.info
    Advertisements

My Watchbox

Thanks for the input, those were also my suspicions about being a custom made job. I have an appraisal from 1992, so I do, in fact know that it is completely made of 18k white gold and the diamonds are real. My wife would rather sell it as she doesn't wear jewelry, I'm personally impartial, but an up to date appraisal is something I should do just for insurance really. Being a mechanic, I have a lot respect for watchmakers. I'm more of a bull in a China shop kind of guy.

My Watchbox

Thanks for the reply, this is what I was thinking. I read on Watch Wiki that the 1201 movements were 1950's era, but the case does echo the whole art-deco era. I can only assume that either that info is wrong or the movement had been replaced, which would maybe make sense because I roughly know the time when it came into possession of the person that gifted it to my mom. After a cleaning it's running like (pardon the pun) a Swiss watch again.

Super Moderator WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

That ETA 1201 was apparently very similar (interchangeable parts) to the Eterna 1057 which came out in the late 1930's so it could well be a late 30's watch or it may have had the original movement replaced at some point in time.

My Watchbox

This watch has also had a very bad redial.

Thread Information