Dirty dozen watch

Thread: Dirty dozen watch

My Watchbox

Default Dirty dozen watch

I've got a ww2 British dirty dozen watch that has the www on the back with a line through it with the letters ATP stamped above it. What does this mean, and is this an original watch or a frankenwatch? I'll try to post some pics.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images

Super Moderator WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

There seems to be a number of sites out there that discuss the "British Dirty Dozen" watches. Of all the ones i viewed, i never saw one with the "WWW" scratched out like that. From one of those sites this information appears; "ATP is thought to stand for either “Army Time Piece” or “Army Trade Pattern”. That same site indicates that the cases for these watches were made either of chrome plated brass or steel and that 15 jewel manual movements were used. That site also notes that the dozen manufacturers used also supplied similar watches to the AXIS forces and that these watches were very similar to their civilian counter-parts.

You dont indicate which company made your watch and I've no idea which country the country code "P" represents. Good quality & clear photos of the movement and dial would be helpful....
    Last edited by mikeyt_53; 09-28-2019 at 11:09 PM.

Super Moderator WTF Veteran CometHunter's Avatar
    (I'm having a good day. Don't screw it up!)

My Watchbox

Well the represented country was Switzerland, because the British watch producers had re-tooled to make materiel for the war effort. . According to the accompanying chart, the watch manufacturer represented by the letter "P" was either Cyma or Eterna.

WW2W.JPG
    -Bill

WTF Administration Team
    The Hamilton Forum
    The Beginner's Watch Forum
    The *Original* Invicta Forum

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchTalkForums.info
    Advertisements

My Watchbox

Maybe I'm misreading this query but I'm not sure why you would need the letter on the case back to identify the manufacturer when all you had to do was look at the dial. Swtizerland was a neutral country during WW2 which (I think) meant they wouldn't have been assigned a line of these watches for their military personnel but yes probably 99% of the manufacturing was done there. Note though that Vertex was a British watch company at the time and what reading i did indicating that they assembled watches made from Swiss parts. I'll admit i dont know much in the way of details over which countries were involved, i would be a bit surprised if any of them were 'non-commonwealth' (ie not part of the British 'empire') countries.

All that said, I've seen contradicting information about this. One site suggested that the letter was a referral to the manufacturer (as per your chart) and the other said that it referred to the country that the watches were intended for and to be assigned to their military.
    Last edited by mikeyt_53; 09-29-2019 at 10:52 AM.

Super Moderator WTF Veteran CometHunter's Avatar
    (I'm having a good day. Don't screw it up!)

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyt_53 View Post
    ....I'm not sure why you would need the letter on the case back to identify the manufacturer when all you had to do was look at the dial.....
    Nahh! That would be too easy. A4.gif
    -Bill

WTF Administration Team
    The Hamilton Forum
    The Beginner's Watch Forum
    The *Original* Invicta Forum

My Watchbox

Does anyone know where I can purchase a crown gasket and detent screw for a Buren www Dirty Dozen watch? Had mine serviced, but my watchsmith was unable to locate a nos crown gasket and detent screw for it.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by Tootalltwin View Post
    Does anyone know where I can purchase a crown gasket and detent screw for a Buren www Dirty Dozen watch? Had mine serviced, but my watchsmith was unable to locate a nos crown gasket and detent screw for it.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Well... i guess this means your earlier posted watch is actually a Buren? Again it would be more than helpful if we had a good clear photo of the movement (so that we know what model movement it contains) and the dial to view.

My Watchbox

The first pick is of an Etena www watch. I'll list a pic of my Buren with this post for reference. I believe the movement is a 520 caliber, but I'm not certain of that. I'll need a crown stem gasket and detent screw for the Buren, so if anyone knows where I can find them, I'd greatly appreciate the help.
    Attached Images

My Watchbox

My parts catalogs from that era have no listing for a Buren "520". If that's what you (or your watch repair person) were searching for, it might explain why you didn't find what you were looking for.

That movement does however look very much like a Buren "410" and it shouldn't be that hard to find a parts version of that movement. Note that the Buren '370' is also a potential donor movement.
    Last edited by mikeyt_53; 09-30-2019 at 10:40 AM.

My Watchbox

You're correct, it is a 410 movement.

Thread Information