Recommendations for 40+ mm hand wound watch under 1000 USD
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By wolfie
  • 3 Post By CometHunter

Thread: Recommendations for 40+ mm hand wound watch under 1000 USD

My Watchbox

Default Recommendations for 40+ mm hand wound watch under 1000 USD

I'm hoping anyone of you awesome guys can give me tips about my new purchase. I'm a beginner watch lover, and I'm currently looking for a watch that fit these requirements:

* A minimum of 40mm because 38 and less just looks to small on me.
    * Hand wound watch, because I want that connection with the clock in the morning.
    * Less than 1000 USD

I really like Junkers 6032-5 because of it's Bauhaus design but don't like the gold/bronze in them. Their regular watches are amazing though. Would've gone with Max Bill if it was bigger. I'm not to much into Diving watches, more gentlemans watches but a bit bigger.

Anyone got any cool suggestions?
    Last edited by wolfie; 09-04-2019 at 12:39 PM.

Super Moderator WTF Veteran CometHunter's Avatar
    (I'm having a good day. Don't screw it up!)

My Watchbox

Are you open to Asian movements, like Orient or Sea-Gull? That stipulation alone will vastly increase your odds of finding an acceptable design.
    -Bill

WTF Administration Team
    The Hamilton Forum
    The Beginner's Watch Forum
    The *Original* Invicta Forum

My Watchbox

I'm very beginner, so I don't know what that entails. I'm guessing a bit lower quality... but any suggestion is fine. :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchTalkForums.info
    Advertisements

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    I'm very beginner, so I don't know what that entails....
    Not a problem.
    Thanks to 21st.-century manufacturing techniques, some watches coming out of the far-East are equal to the quality of some Swiss watches.
    But speaking honestly, I have met a few watch snobs in the past. If a watch was not manufactured and assembled in Switzerland, they did not want to have ANYTHING to do with it.
    I was merely trying to find out either how conservative or how liberal your views of watch ownership were.....and now we know,

LET THE HUNT BEGIN!
    -Bill

WTF Administration Team
    The Hamilton Forum

My Watchbox

Lol! Already started the hunt. Sea-gull rubbed me the wrong way when I googled it. A lot of copied designs, but Orient seems cool. Gonna see if theres some gems there. 😁

Super Moderator WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

You haven't indicated what style of watch you are actually looking for. Diver / luxury / leisure / military / sports / fashion / chronograph etc are just a few choices. If you are considering Orient (and they do make very nice watches under $1000 USD), i might suggest the Orient Star collection for their classy look. Another option, albeit just slightly over your $1000 USD amount are Christopher Ward watches which also has a mix of designs and are well made.

And as for 'copied designs', very few watch companies make nothing but original design watches and it's quite common to find the same basic movement in many different brand watches.
    Last edited by mikeyt_53; 09-06-2019 at 11:19 AM.

My Watchbox

All great suggestions. Haven't managed to find one that click just yet but several are amazing. I like unique features, maybe a tilted date display, or similar. Anything that stands out in the design. And preferably dress watches, but some military watches that has a bit of dress style in them I like as well. No gold though, just silver. And regarding the copied designs, gave Sea-gull another look and was probably to harsh. Some were really cool.

My Watchbox

Right now, the Christopher Ward C65 diver vintage watch with blue and camel strap has really tickled my fancy. So thank you for that type. Could definetly be a potential purchase.
    mikeyt_53 likes this.

My Watchbox

How about the Hamilton Khaki Mechanical, is under $500 retail. 38mm and is hand wound.
    OMEGA Member since 2/24/09

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by CometHunter View Post
    Are you open to Asian movements, like Orient or Sea-Gull? That stipulation alone will vastly increase your odds of finding an acceptable design.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    .... I'm guessing a bit lower quality, but... :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I dislike asking that question for fear that it will give one the wrong idea about Oriental movements. But the sad fact is that some beginners will start out being prejudiced AGAINST South-East Asian watch movements.
    Whether you like the looks of something or not, very rarely will someone else's words by themselves change your mind. I can't control aesthetics.
    But I CAN tell you that from a technical point, there is nothing to be afraid of. Towards the end of the 20th century, China and Japan have used modern technology to a great advantage in competing with the rest of the world in watch movement quality. Some watches by Seiko (like Grand Seikos) are every bit as fine as the most luxurious Swiss and German watch manufactures! Orient and Citizen are not far behind.

Let the experience of others determine your perception of Asian movements, rather than untested first impressions.
    -Bill

WTF Administration Team
    The Hamilton Forum

Thread Information