Hello to all from a old collector>> - Page 3

WINNER OF THE ROLEX PHOTO COMPETITION

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Hello to all from a old collector>>

Quote Originally Posted by CometHunter View Post
    Without a doubt.
    True story: A VERY short time after joining WTF, I'd been cajoled into joining the Moderator staff. I can still remember the Spring of 2011- John Holbrook had the whole Mod staff acting like reporters. He had us combing the press releases coming out of Baselworld 2011 and re-reporting them here in the brand-appropriate forums. We were all kept busy for two solid weeks!

Nowadays, it wouldn't surprise me if there were (newer) members who've never even heard of Baselworld!

That's an interesting story...but not quite how I remember it.

As I recall, many of the brand forums were hurting for things to post about. Everyone wanted to grow the forums but no one knew exactly how. I suggested that I could use my journalist credentials to give the appropriate mods access to the brand's press releases on the brand's website. Everyone liked the idea, so I did just that. There wasn't any "combing" - they simply had access to the press releases that they could then post - pre-Basel as I recalled. Giving the Hamilton Forum mods (as an example) access to the Hamilton brand press releases seemed like the right thing to do. So that's what was done. That practice mirrored what other sites - and other mods - routinely did and still do. Just setting the record straight.

Nice to see some familiar names in this thread. As for my departure, the mod team at the time seemed to feel they could do a better job of running the site than I could. So I stepped away. The almost immediate nose-dive of the forum was unfortunate.

BTW, I do more than just photograph firearms these days - I'm a competitive shooter. I'll be competing in my second World Speed Shooting Championship this Spring. And I still do a lot of freelance writing and photography - in the firearms industry. But I still do wear a Rolex on my wrist every day - I have on my white dial Explorer II today.

Best,
    Last edited by JBHII; 01-15-2020 at 08:11 PM.

Super Moderator WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Comment deleted.
    Last edited by mikeyt_53; 01-15-2020 at 07:27 PM. Reason: bit my tongue
    Spaceview M2 likes this.

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

I used to actively keep up with the site, but I will give you the reason I left. It was because of all the snarky replies one would get for posting what seemed like honest questions. Or no replies at all. That just seemed rude to me. I still drop in from time to time, but there isn't much on here anymore.

Super Moderator WTF Veteran CometHunter's Avatar
    (I'm having a good day. Don't screw it up!)

My Watchbox

Chancer! Good morning (literally!) and thanks for checking in. It's reassuring to find out you haven't completely forsaken us.
    -Bill

WTF Administration Team
    The Hamilton Forum
    The Beginner's Watch Forum
    The *Original* Invicta Forum

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information