An unusual B case 214 - Page 2

Winner of the Bulova-Accutron-Caravelle Masthead Contest
AWF_01_1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: An unusual B case 214

My Watchbox

SV, that helps and explains a lot
    I can't read the case number on the caseback, but did all the B case variations have the same number 2362?

Stu, that's an awesome Astro! Very early, I won't binge out looking for one...
    Last edited by watchabit; 05-05-2019 at 10:06 AM.

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by watchabit View Post
    SV, that helps and explains a lot
    I can't read the case number on the caseback, but did all the B case variations have the same number 2362?
    Yes, from the most recent info I have 2362 B cases were produced from 1961-1967. Not all will have that 2362 stamp as you are fully aware. All had the 30.55 Snap Dome (Spaceview or Clear) crystal in them. Here is one example of those older style hands. Many Accutron Clocks have those variant hand design on them and I even saw a Hamilton or two with similar hands.

vintage-accutron-watch-13-best-watches-images-on-pinterest-bulova-accutron-clock-and-clocks.jpg
    watchabit likes this.

My Watchbox

There you go! Mystery solved

So do other Bulova hands fit Accutrons? I haven't checked the interchange manual, but I just remember a post here that accutrons had different size holes than most other watches. If not that would open up a whole new can of worms for hands.

My Watchbox

The Astronaut Reference Guide shows some of those hand variants on early Astro 'advertisements'.
    watchabit likes this.

My Watchbox

I was racking my brains trying to figure out where I had seen this dial and handset before. I made a post about it. Ebay Sold Link. The hands look blue on this one and doesn't have the dial damage. Perhaps somebody bought this and re-cased it? Sometimes blue hands show up as black when photographed. Do your hands appear blue?

s-l500.jpg
    s-l500 (1).jpg
    watchabit, Spaceview M2 and Stu3 like this.

My Watchbox

Jake, that is the same watch! The dial spot is under the hour hand in your pic. I'm sure because the index guard is from a gold movement as was mine. I changed it today to the correct silver one. Yes the hands are blued.
    Here are a couple update pics, I polished the crystal, put the set wheel spring back on so I could set the time and put a cool Forstner mesh band on. Looks like 975 on the caseback, and you can see the gold ring in the crystal in the later pic. Again the spot on the dial is above the 7 and under the min hand.
    Attached Images
    Spaceview M2 and Stu3 like this.

My Watchbox

You know, I must have had the b case to put it in! It's been a while so I didn't remember buying it as a movement. Glad to remember now though as I have some other 214 cases I could try and I'm not worried abt keeping it original.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information