Another Astronaut - Page 2

Winner of the Bulova-Accutron-Caravelle Masthead Contest
AWF_01_1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Another Astronaut

My Watchbox

Speaking as a beginner, I can't tell you how hard it is to get a movement sparkly clean and keep it that way until it's all together and closed in a case. Those pics that Chris and Rob post of pristine movement parts and completed movements ...that's NOT easy! If either of them got one of these I did they'd immediately take it apart and clean it I'm sure! I'm constantly having to clean the tips of my tools on rodico, you don't see this until you look at it under a microscope.

My Watchbox

Very Nice Day/Night. I think if we can find a way to get our hands alittle dirty with some repair/maintenance or service of these watches then it sure makes collecting them just abit more interesting and worthwhile.
    Last edited by Spaceview M2; 05-04-2019 at 08:43 PM.

My Watchbox

Good job to get a 214 serviced and running well. As simple as they are, they are far from simple to service so that they run reliably. Pretty nice looking watch too!

Keeping the movement clean is important, and what you are doing sounds right. Keep your screwdriver tips and tweezers clean with rodico, use a movement holder and don't touch the movement with your fingers. Also, if you need to puff dust off it, never use your breath as it has moisture and other nasty things in it which sticks to the movement and also make dirt stick. Use a watchmakers puffer or canned air.

Rob

My Watchbox

Thanks much Rob. I find the puffers a bit frustrating to control so I got canned air, easy enough to trigger very lightly. I'm using LR 111 cleaning solution, it's sort of a light caramel color and it will leave a residue unless rinsed very well, is this normal? Also after a couple cleanings there is a sticky residue in the cup and I have to change it? Wondering if it has a short shelf life? I'm using #3 rinse which I think is pretty much Ronsol lighter Fluid.

My Watchbox

I think that the cleaner you are using is one that has a short shelf life. Not 100% sure whether that's the actual one, but could well be. There's not much to do but toss it and use new fluid as soon as it starts to go off. I use Elma 9:1 concentrate which is water based. Use methanol (methyl alcohol) as a second rinse (to absorb the water), followed by Ronsonol (naphtha). Last a lot longer and works very well.

Rob
    watchabit and JackDaniels83 like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information