TAG Heuer - Removing Rotating Bezel - Help Needed

Panatime

WINNER OF THE WATCH STRAPS

Thread: TAG Heuer - Removing Rotating Bezel - Help Needed

WDC

My Watchbox

Default TAG Heuer - Removing Rotating Bezel - Help Needed

Is there anyone in the forum that has experience and/or knowledge removing the outer rotating bezel. I am assuming it has the hexagon (or muli-gon) spring between the bezel and case as it ratchets when rotating. I have put light-pressure with a case splitter (between bottom of bezel and case) to lift the bezel, but it’s not popping right off.

Model number on back of case (if needed) is 980-0208

Thought is best to reach out before damaging anything.

Thanks in advance,
    Will

TAG Heuer Bazel-01.jpg

Super Moderator WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

I've removed 2 bezels from TAGS in my entire life and both were pigs to get off and pigs to put back on. One i managed to do by simply working my way (slowly) around the bezel with case opener and after about 20 mins it finally let go and popped off. The other i had to beg/borrow an actual bezel removal tool (2 clawed version) and while it was better, it was still difficult to do without risking bending the bezel. I did some searching on-line too and didn't find an absolute tried and true method to get this job done.

WDC

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyt_53 View Post
    I've removed 2 bezels from TAGS in my entire life and both were pigs to get off and pigs to put back on. One i managed to do by simply working my way (slowly) around the bezel with case opener and after about 20 mins it finally let go and popped off. The other i had to beg/borrow an actual bezel removal tool (2 clawed version) and while it was better, it was still difficult to do without risking bending the bezel. I did some searching on-line too and didn't find an absolute tried and true method to get this job done.

Thanks for that, your experience pretty much mirrors my own. Common scene tells me there is something like an ID & OD opposing groves with a hex shaped spring locking the two together. And the method to remove is to pry (or work) the bezel up and off, the case, popping the spring out of the grove.

That said it is not popping off easily, causing me to second guess myself.

After reading your experience maybe some WD-40 to help the spring let loose. I too have done an extensive search looking for anything on this and found nothing.

Thanks for your comments and sharing! Anyone else with experience removing the bezel from a TAG?

Will
    Last edited by WDC; 03-23-2019 at 02:43 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchTalkForums.info
    Advertisements

Super Moderator WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Just a bit more info... i did read that one person claimed some success using a razor blade and working his way around. His theory was that crud had built up under the bezel and solidified over time. He claimed it helped for what its worth.

WDC

My Watchbox

Solved – Removing outer bezel

A special thanks to @mikeyt_53 (WTF) for responding and relating your experience. These comments along with a number of YouTube video’s, in particular https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmM-ywkvvl0 stopped me from second guessing myself, resulting in successfully removing the TAG bezel.

For those that follow I succeeded using the following method.
    1. Working a knife edge between the case and bottom of bezel, lifting the bezel enough I could spray (into the hex-spring groves) penetrating oil.
    2. With the knife holding a small gap I worked in a small jeweler’s flat screwdriver, widening the gap a bit.
    3. Using a second small flat screwdriver I worked the gap around the bezel bottom until the bezel popped off the case.

Note: that before using this method I tried using a four point case-splitter which did not work.

Again, thank you & good luck
    Will

TAG Heuer Bazel-03.jpg
    Last edited by WDC; 03-24-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Thread Information